Is $f(z) = \sin(z)/z$ an analytic function on the complex plane?

In summary, the integral $\displaystyle \int_C \dfrac{\sin(z)}{z} dz$ where $c: |z| = 1$ can be computed using Cauchy integral formula or by treating it as an analytic function over a closed curve. It can also be represented as a Weierstrass infinite product, showing that it is an entire function. The concept of "removable singularity" can be confusing in complex analysis and can be removed by simply defining the function $f(z) = \sin(z)/z$ as a function $f:\mathbb{C}^{\times}\to \mathbb{C}$ and setting $f(0) = 0$. This ensures that
Amer
Find the integral
$\displaystyle \int_C \dfrac{\sin(z)}{z} dz $ where $c: |z| = 1 $

Can I use Cauchy integral formula since sin(z) is analytic

$\displaystyle\int_C \dfrac{\sin(z)}{z} dz = Res(f,0) = 2\pi i \sin(0) = 0$

I tired to compute it without using the formula
$z(t) = e^{it} , 0\leq t\leq 2\pi $

$\displaystyle\int_C \dfrac{\sin(z)}{z} dz = \int_0^{2\pi} \dfrac{\sin(e^{it})}{e^{it}} \cdot i e^{it} dt = i \int_0^{2\pi} \sin(e^{it}) dt $
since it is an odd function on a symmetric interval is zero

So we can treat the integral of a function with removable singularity as analytic functions over closed curve, Cauchy theorem holds for functions with removable singularity..
Is that true Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Amer said:
Find the integral
$\displaystyle \int_C \dfrac{\sin(z)}{z} dz $ where $c: |z| = 1 $

Can I use Cauchy integral formula since sin(z) is analytic

$\displaystyle\int_C \dfrac{\sin(z)}{z} dz = Res(f,0) = 2\pi i \sin(0) = 0$

I tired to compute it without using the formula
$z(t) = e^{it} , 0\leq t\leq 2\pi $

$\displaystyle\int_C \dfrac{\sin(z)}{z} dz = \int_0^{2\pi} \dfrac{\sin(e^{it})}{e^{it}} \cdot i e^{it} dt = i \int_0^{2\pi} \sin(e^{it}) dt $
since it is an odd function on a symmetric interval is zero

So we can treat the integral of a function with removable singularity as analytic functions over closed curve, Cauchy theorem holds for functions with removable singularity..
Is that true Thanks

In fact the function $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{\sin z}{z}$ is an entire function, i.e. it is analytic in the whole complex plane and the demonstration of that is that it can be represented as Weierstrass infinite product...

$\displaystyle \frac{\sin z}{z} = \prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \{1 - \frac{z^{2}}{(n\ \pi)^{2}}\}\ (1)$

In my opinion a lot of confusion should be removed simply removing the concept of 'removable singularity' from the complex analysis...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
In fact the function $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{\sin z}{z}$ is an entire function, i.e. it is analytic in the whole complex plane and the demonstration of that is that it can be represented as Weierstrass infinite product...

$\displaystyle \frac{\sin z}{z} = \prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \{1 - \frac{z^{2}}{(n\ \pi)^{2}}\}\ (1)$

In my opinion a lot of confusion should be removed simply removing the concept of 'removable singularity' from the complex analysis...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Is not $\dfrac{\sin(z)}{z}$ undefined at 0 ?
how could it be an entire function ?

Thanks

Amer said:
Is not $\dfrac{\sin(z)}{z}$ undefined at 0 ?
how could it be an entire function ?

Thanks

Writing again the Weierstrass product...

... You can observe that, setting z=0 in (1), You obtain that for z = 0 is $\displaystyle \frac{\sin z}{z} = 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

thanks

Or you can use the series representation of \(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{\sin (z) }{z}\).

ZaidAlyafey said:
Or you can use the series representation of \(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{\sin (z) }{z}\).

Thanks, I think it is the same as in real integration if f(x) = g(x) Almost everywhere then
int f(x) = int g(x)

Define the function $f(z) = \sin(z)/z$ as a function $f:\mathbb{C}^{\times}\to \mathbb{C}$. If you now define $f(0) = 0$ then $f$ is differenciable at $0$. To see this write, for $z\not = 0$,
$$ \frac{f(z)-f(0)}{z-0} = \frac{\sin z}{z^2} $$
The limit of this as $z\to 0$ exists and is equal to $0$. Thus, by definition, $f$ is differenciable at $0$.

Related to Is $f(z) = \sin(z)/z$ an analytic function on the complex plane?

What is "Complex integration Residue"?

Complex integration residue is a mathematical concept used in the field of complex analysis. It involves calculating the residues, or the residues, of a complex function around singular points, which can be poles or essential singularities.

How is the residue of a complex function calculated?

The residue of a complex function is calculated by finding the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around a given singular point. This coefficient is known as the residue.

What is the significance of the residue in complex analysis?

The residue plays a crucial role in evaluating complex integrals, particularly in cases where the integrand has poles or essential singularities. It also helps in determining the behavior of a function near these singular points.

Are there any applications of complex integration residue in real-world problems?

Yes, complex integration residue has various applications in engineering and physics, such as in the analysis of electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the evaluation of certain real integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods.

What are some common techniques for calculating complex integration residues?

Some common techniques for calculating complex integration residues include the Residue Theorem, the Cauchy Integral Formula, and the Method of Partial Fractions. These techniques are based on different approaches and can be used depending on the complexity of the given function.