Is f(z)+i arg(z) an analytic function?

In summary, an analytic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. It can be represented by a power series and is a combination of a real part and an imaginary part. However, it is only analytic if certain conditions are met. Analytic functions are important in science as they allow for the modeling and analysis of complex systems, and their properties make them useful for various applications. To determine if a function is analytic, one can check if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations.
Huns
Solve.jpg

Is this function analytic or not? Please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's the definition of log(z).

Svein said:
Well, it's the definition of log(z).
so how to split ln (z) and arg (z) for determining analyticity?

Huns said:
so how to split ln (z) and arg (z) for determining analyticity?
log(z) is analytic in any simply connected domain that does not include 0.

By the way, the expression ln|z| is the real logarithm.

Related to Is f(z)+i arg(z) an analytic function?

What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. It can be represented by a power series of the form f(z) = ∑cn(z-a)n, where cn are complex coefficients and a is a constant.

What does f(z)+i arg(z) represent?

f(z)+i arg(z) is a complex-valued function that combines the real part of the function f(z) with the imaginary part of the argument of z. It can be written as f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where u(x,y) and v(x,y) are the real and imaginary parts, respectively.

Is f(z)+i arg(z) always an analytic function?

No, f(z)+i arg(z) is not always an analytic function. It is only analytic if u(x,y) and v(x,y) satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex-valued function to be differentiable.

What is the importance of analytic functions in science?

Analytic functions are important in science because they provide a way to model and analyze complex systems, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They also have many useful properties, such as being infinitely differentiable and having a unique analytic continuation.

How can one determine if f(z)+i arg(z) is an analytic function?

To determine if f(z)+i arg(z) is an analytic function, one can check if the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied. If they are, then the function is analytic and can be represented by a power series. If they are not satisfied, then the function is not analytic and cannot be represented by a power series.