Solving the Average Force Problem for a Parachuter Hitting the Beach

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a parachuter hitting the beach with a given speed and making a certain depth of indentation in the sand. The solution involves calculating the average acceleration and force experienced by the parachuter, with different approaches suggested by the participants. Ultimately, they were able to solve the problem and the conversation ends with a note on considering the context of the problem when choosing a solution method.
Forgo
Helping my daughter with her homework (trying to help).
A 65 kg parachuter hits the beach with a speed of 4.0 m/s, making a 0.2 m deep indentation in the sand. With what average force did the parachuter hit the sand?

From what I found in the text it seems you need a time (which they don't provide). How about some clues?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to calculate the average acceleration that the parachuter experienced as he moved through the .2M of sand. The change in velocity was -4.0 m/s through that .2m of sand. From there the average force should be easily calculated given the mass of the parachuter. I wouldn't think knowing the time is absolutely necessary but there is always more than one way to solve a problem.

Hope this helps.

If you wanted to calculate the time first and then work from there,

[tex] t = \frac{2 D}{V} [/tex]

Then you can calculate the acceleration from the velocity and time and then the force from there.

I hope what I posted is helping you solve your problem. I have to leave now but if you are still having difficulty, just post where you are stuck and someone will help out.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks a lot for the help, we solved the problem just now.

My two cents:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Fd[/tex]

Doug

That's a great solution which I also considered but since Forgo mentioned time I thought maybe I should stick with calculating the acceleration. I should have asked what his daughter was actually studying in relation to that problem.

1. What is the definition of average force?

The average force is the total force acting on an object divided by the time period during which the force is applied. It is a measure of the overall effect of a force on an object over a certain period of time.

2. How is average force calculated?

Average force is calculated by dividing the total force by the time period during which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation Favg = Δp/Δt, where Favg is the average force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between average force and instantaneous force?

Average force is the overall effect of a force on an object over a certain period of time, while instantaneous force is the force at a specific moment in time. Average force takes into account the entire duration of the force, while instantaneous force only considers a single moment.

4. What are some real-life examples of average force?

Examples of average force can include pushing a cart for a certain distance, throwing a ball, or lifting a weight for a set amount of time. These actions involve a continuous force being applied over a period of time, resulting in an average force.

5. How can I use average force to solve problems?

To solve problems involving average force, you can use the equation Favg = Δp/Δt and plug in the given values for change in momentum and change in time. You can also use the concept of average force to analyze the overall effect of a force on an object and make predictions about its motion and behavior.