Is Energy Galilean Invariant?

In summary: DaleNo, it is not necessarily true that ##\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}'##. It is just a matter of definition.
Frank Castle
As the title says, is energy Galilean invariant?

I'm fairly sure it isn't, since if one considers the simple case of a free particle, such that its energy is ##E=\frac{p^{2}}{2m}##, then under a Galilean boost, it follows that ##E'= \frac{p'^{2}}{2m}=E+\frac{\tilde{p}^{2}}{2m}-\frac{\mathbf{p}\cdot\tilde{\mathbf{p}}}{m}##, where ##\mathbf{p}'=\mathbf{p}-\tilde{\mathbf{p}}##, with ##\tilde{\mathbf{p}}=m\tilde{\mathbf{v}}##, and ##\tilde{\mathbf{v}}## is the relative velocity between the two inertial frames.

I mean, it seems obvious, since momentum is not Galilean invariant (indeed, it transforms as ##\mathbf{p}'=\mathbf{p}-\tilde{\mathbf{p}}##), but I'm having a momentary crisis of confidence in my understanding and so wanted to check!

Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Castle said:
I'm fairly sure it isn't
You are correct, it is not invariant.

Frank Castle said:
I'm having a momentary crisis of confidence
Confidence restored!

Likes vanhees71
You are correct. Consider the trivial case of a particle at rest in one frame. What is its kinetic energy in that frame, compared to in any other frame?

Energy transfer, for example in collisions, will be the same in all frames.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
You are correct, it is not invariant.

Confidence restored!

Ibix said:
You are correct. Consider the trivial case of a particle at rest in one frame. What is its kinetic energy in that frame, compared to in any other frame?

Energy transfer, for example in collisions, will be the same in all frames.

That's what I thought. Thanks :smile:

Isn't there an implicit assumption that the relationship ##E=\frac{p^{2}}{2m}## holds in all inertial frames though (or is it simply a matter of definition)?!

@Dale Whilst we're on the topic of Galilean invariance... I know that the instantaneous distance between two points is Galilean invariant, however if one considers a time interval, such that ##\Delta t\neq0##, then it is not. Is it correct to say though that it is meaningless to consider the distance between two points separated by a non-zero time interval since they are not defined in the same 3-dimensional hypersurface (with the set of hypersurfaces parametrised by absolute time ##t##), indeed they "live" on separate hypersurfaces?!

Last edited:
Galileo transformations don't change time at all. So in fact time intervals are Galilei invariant. That's what Newton calls "absolute time".

You are right concerning spatial distances. Within Newtionian physics they make indeed only sense when looking at the two points defining the distance at the same time. There's no connection between the spaces at different times whatsoever. Newtonian spacetime is just a pile of 3D Euclidean affine spaces along the time axis (it's a fiber bundle rather than the elegant spacetime manifolds in special or general relativity).

vanhees71 said:
alileo transformations don't change time at all. So in fact time intervals are Galilei invariant. That's what Newton calls "absolute time".

You are right concerning spatial distances. Within Newtionian physics they make indeed only sense when looking at the two points defining the distance at the same time. There's no connection between the spaces at different times whatsoever. Newtonian spacetime is just a pile of 3D Euclidean affine spaces along the time axis (it's a fiber bundle rather than the elegant spacetime manifolds in special or general relativity).

Is it assumed from the start that all equations (in Newtonian mechanics) are Galilean covariant (i.e. the are form invariant with respect to Galilean transformations)?! It is then a matter of showing that certain measurable quantities, such as Newton's 2nd law, are Galilean invariant, whereas others such as energy, momentum etc. are not.

Any observable (function of ##\vec{x}_j## and ##\vec{p}_j##, ##j \in \{1,2,\ldots,N \}## making up the ##3N##-dimensional phase space for a ##N##-body system) has a well-defined behavior under Galileo transformations. For Galileo boosts (a subgroup of the full Galileo group which is built by space-time translations, rotations, and Galileo boosts) you have
$$t'=t, \quad \vec{x}_j'=\vec{x}_j-\vec{v} t, \quad \vec{p}_j'=\vec{p}_j-m_j \vec{v}.$$
Now kinetic energy is
$$T'=\sum_{j=1}^N \frac{\vec{p}_j^{\prime 2}}{2m_j}=\sum_{j=1}^{N} \frac{(\vec{p}_j-m_j \vec{v})^2}{2m_j},$$
i.e., it's not invariant.

vanhees71 said:
Any observable (function of ##\vec{x}_j## and ##\vec{p}_j##, ##j \in \{1,2,\ldots,N \}## making up the ##3N##-dimensional phase space for a ##N##-body system) has a well-defined behavior under Galileo transformations. For Galileo boosts (a subgroup of the full Galileo group which is built by space-time translations, rotations, and Galileo boosts) you have
$$t'=t, \quad \vec{x}_j'=\vec{x}_j-\vec{v} t, \quad \vec{p}_j'=\vec{p}_j-m_j \vec{v}.$$
Now kinetic energy is
$$T'=\sum_{j=1}^N \frac{\vec{p}_j^{\prime 2}}{2m_j}=\sum_{j=1}^{N} \frac{(\vec{p}_j-m_j \vec{v})^2}{2m_j},$$
i.e., it's not invariant.

Is it necessarily true that ##\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}'##? Is this just a matter of definition? I understand that the right-hand side transforms as ##m\mathbf{a}\rightarrow m\mathbf{a}'##, but is it necessarily true that the left-hand side transforms such that it is equal to the transformed right-hand side?

A symmetry by definition means that the variation of the action doesn't change under the corresponding transformation, which implies that the equations of motion are invariant under the transformation. Since in the boost written out above ##\vec{v}=\text{const}## (i.e., ##\dot{\vec{v}}=0##) we have ##\dot{\vec{p}}_j'=\dot{\vec{p}}_j## any Galileo invariant force must be invariant itself. This gives constraints for the form of the possible Hamiltonians and thus the form of possible forces.

vanhees71 said:
A symmetry by definition means that the variation of the action doesn't change under the corresponding transformation, which implies that the equations of motion are invariant under the transformation. Since in the boost written out above ##\vec{v}=\text{const}## (i.e., ##\dot{\vec{v}}=0##) we have ##\dot{\vec{p}}_j'=\dot{\vec{p}}_j## any Galileo invariant force must be invariant itself. This gives constraints for the form of the possible Hamiltonians and thus the form of possible forces.

So do we simply demand from the outset that all equations transform covariantly?

Yes, on a fundamental level the laws of nature should obey the symmetry principles of the underlying spacetime manifold.

vanhees71 said:
Yes, on a fundamental level the laws of nature should obey the symmetry principles of the underlying spacetime manifold.

So in Newtonian mechanics the spacetime manifold has Galilean symmetry and so all equations should transform covariantly under this symmetry, meaning that, for example, ##\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}'=m\mathbf{a}'##, ##\mathbf{p}\rightarrow\mathbf{p}'=m\mathbf{v}'##, ##E\rightarrow E'=\frac{\mathbf{p}'^{2}}{2m}+V'(\mathbf{x}')##, etc... And then it can shown that certain physical quantities are actually invariant under Galilean transformations, such as force, ##\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}'=m\mathbf{a}'=m\mathbf{a}=\mathbf{F}##?!

Instead of ##m \boldsymbol{a}##, I'd write ##\dot{\boldsymbol{p}}##. Otherwise, it's correct.

vanhees71 said:
Instead of ##m \boldsymbol{a}##, I'd write ##\dot{\boldsymbol{p}}##. Otherwise, it's correct.

Ok cool. Thanks for your help!

Related to Is Energy Galilean Invariant?

1. What does it mean for energy to be Galilean invariant?

Galilean invariance refers to the principle that the laws of physics should appear the same to all observers in uniform motion. This means that the value of energy should remain constant regardless of the frame of reference in which it is measured.

2. Why is it important to know if energy is Galilean invariant?

Understanding whether energy is Galilean invariant is crucial in accurately describing and predicting physical phenomena. If energy were not invariant, it would lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in the laws of physics.

3. How is energy measured in different frames of reference?

In different frames of reference, energy can be measured through different quantities such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy. However, the total energy in a closed system will remain the same regardless of the frame of reference.

4. Are there any experiments that have been conducted to test the Galilean invariance of energy?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments conducted to test the Galilean invariance of energy, and they have all confirmed that energy does indeed remain constant across different frames of reference. One example is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which demonstrated the constancy of the speed of light, and therefore the invariance of energy.

5. Does the concept of Galilean invariance apply to all forms of energy?

Yes, the principle of Galilean invariance applies to all forms of energy, including mechanical, thermal, and electromagnetic energy. This is because energy is a fundamental quantity in physics and should remain constant in all frames of reference.