Is Energy Conserved in a Falling Yo-Yo?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of energy in a scenario where a yo-yo is dropped while only being held by its string. It is argued that the force applied by the string does not necessarily mean that work is being done, and the speed of the string after it unravels is not relevant to this concept. The concept of work is clarified as being dependent on the displacement of the point of application of the force.
estro
Suppose that I hold a Yo-Yo and then I leave it to fall [and of course rotate] holding only the string.
I seems to me that the energy [not the whole of the potential energy will be converted to [itex](1/2)mv^2+(1/2)I\omega^2[/itex]] is not conserved, because of the force the string applies on the Yo-Yo.
Is my intuition is right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
estro said:
Suppose that I hold a Yo-Yo and then I leave it to fall [and of course rotate] holding only the string.
I seems to me that the energy [not the whole of the potential energy will be converted to [itex](1/2)mv^2+(1/2)I\omega^2[/itex]] is not conserved, because of the force the string applies on the Yo-Yo.
Is my intuition is right?
I would say no. Just because the string exerts a force on the yo-yo does not mean that work is being done. Consider the speed of the end of the string as it unravels.

Doc Al said:
I would say no. Just because the string exerts a force on the yo-yo does not mean that work is being done. Consider the speed of the end of the string as it unravels.

Regarding what you said about the work:
The yo-yo goes down so the string force does negative work. So the force does not "spend" energy, right?

Regarding speed of the string:
The string has no speed after it unravels, but I don't understand how is this related to work. As work is only [itex] F\centerdot \Delta x [/itex]

estro said:
Regarding what you said about the work:
The yo-yo goes down so the string force does negative work. So the force does not "spend" energy, right?

Regarding speed of the string:
The string has no speed after it unravels, but I don't understand how is this related to work. As work is only [itex] F\centerdot \Delta x [/itex]
Work is better thought of as [itex] F\centerdot \Delta x [/itex], where [itex] \Delta x [/itex] is the displacement of the point of application of that force. But the point of application is not moving.

You can certainly calculate [itex] F_{net}\centerdot \Delta x_{cm} [/itex], but that's not the same thing as the work done by the forces.

Doc Al said:
Work is better thought of as [itex] F\centerdot \Delta x [/itex], where [itex] \Delta x [/itex] is the displacement of the point of application of that force. But the point of application is not moving.

You can certainly calculate [itex] F_{net}\centerdot \Delta x_{cm} [/itex], but that's not the same thing as the work done by the forces.

Great explanation [cleared a lot of confusion for me], thanks!

Related to Is Energy Conserved in a Falling Yo-Yo?

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as energy production and conservation, and is essential for understanding the natural world.

How is energy conserved?

Energy is conserved through various processes, such as energy conversion, where energy is transformed from one form to another, and energy transfer, where energy is moved from one object to another. In a closed system, the total amount of energy remains the same, even though it may change forms.

What are some examples of conservation of energy?

Some common examples of conservation of energy include a pendulum swinging back and forth, where the potential energy at the highest point is converted into kinetic energy as it moves down, and a roller coaster, where the potential energy at the top of the track is converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the track.

What are the implications of violating conservation of energy?

If conservation of energy is violated, it would mean that energy can be created or destroyed, which goes against the fundamental laws of physics. This would also make it impossible to accurately predict the behavior of physical systems, which could have serious consequences in areas such as engineering and technology.