Is Electromagnetism the Force Behind Dye Movement in Electrophoresis?

• Thread starter RED119
  • Start date
In summary, yes, electromagnetism is responsible for the charge of the molecules and their movement in an electric field.
RED119
So there was a question on this sheet in my biology class which asked what main force is responsible for the movement of dyes (these dyes had a formal charge and were all water soluble, and were small molecules). I answered electromagnetism. This was marked wrong and he said it was wrong because they aren't like magnets, it is more of an attraction to a large electric charge. I could just be stupid but is that not what electromagnetism is? The interaction of charged particles, magnetic fields and electric current?... Did he just not know what electromagnetism was or am I in the wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your teacher, no magnetism here, only electric forces.

In a way you are right that electric interactions are part of a larger system of interactions, but there is no need to describe the phenomenon using the most general theory. When you call for electromagnetism here it sounds as if you were guessing.

Borek said:
I agree with your teacher, no magnetism here, only electric forces.

In a way you are right that electric interactions are part of a larger system of interactions, but there is no need to describe the phenomenon using the most general theory. When you call for electromagnetism here it sounds as if you were guessing.
But electromagnetism is responsible for the charge of the molecules, their and their movement in the electric field. When the question asked what force was responsible for the movement it seemed like it was looking for a the general force that caused it. Especially when friction wasn't a factor due to the size and solubility of the particles.

RED119 said:
Especially when friction wasn't a factor due to the size and solubility of the particles.

Quite the opposite, friction due to viscosity (as described by the Stoke's law) is an important factor here.

As I said before: no magnetic counterpart to the process, Coulomb forces are perfectly enough to explain the drift.

Likes Bystander
In the context of the four fundamental forces (strong, weak, electromagnetism, gravity), I agree that electrophoresis falls under the category of a phenomena involving the electromagnetic force.

Ygggdrasil said:
In the context of the four fundamental forces (strong, weak, electromagnetism, gravity)

Question is whether it is a convenient context to discuss observations in this case.

1. What is electrophoresis?

Electrophoresis is a laboratory technique used to separate and analyze molecules based on their size and electrical charge. It involves applying an electric field to a gel or other media containing the molecules, causing them to move towards the positive or negative electrode depending on their charge.

2. What is the purpose of electrophoresis?

The primary purpose of electrophoresis is to separate and purify molecules, such as proteins or DNA fragments, for further analysis or use. It can also be used to quantify the amount of a specific molecule present in a sample.

3. What are the different types of electrophoresis?

There are several types of electrophoresis, including gel electrophoresis, capillary electrophoresis, and paper electrophoresis. Each type uses a different medium, such as a gel or paper strip, and may have different applications or advantages depending on the molecules being separated.

4. What factors can affect the results of electrophoresis?

Several factors can affect the results of electrophoresis, including the size and charge of the molecules being separated, the type of medium used, the strength of the electric field, and the duration of the electrophoresis. Contaminants or errors in the experimental setup can also impact the results.

5. How is electrophoresis used in scientific research?

Electrophoresis is a commonly used technique in scientific research, particularly in fields such as genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology. It can be used to analyze and compare DNA fragments, identify specific proteins, and study the interactions between molecules. It is also used in medical and forensic applications for diagnosis and identification of diseases or individuals.