Is Electromagnetism Relative and Does it Create a Paradox in Moving Frames?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electromagnetism in different frames of reference and how charges behave in these frames. It also touches on the difference between inertial frames and accelerating charges. The main point is that a charge moving at a constant velocity in an inertial frame does not radiate, but an accelerating charge does. The conversation also clarifies that a frame is not a single observer, but rather a global concept.
Charlie G
Correct me if I am wrong, but, if electromagnetism is relative then in a frame where charges have relative motion between the observer, the observer would detect electromagnetic radiation being emitted from the charge, and that to an observer moving alongside the charge at the same speed, no electromagnetic radiation would be detected.

So, if what is above is correct then this paradox comes up in my mind. Let's say we have two observers, each is inertial with one standing on the ground and the other moving by in his rocket. Inside the rocket is a van de graaf generator with a strong electrostatic charge and a bomb that is triggered by EM radiation. To the observer on the ground, the charge emits radiation as the rocket ship begins its flight, setting off the bomb and destroying the ship, while the observer in the rocket detects no radiation and believes himself to be safe from the bomb exploding.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertial frames move with constant velocity relative to each other. A charge moving with constant velocity in an inertial frame does not radiate. Accelerating charges radiate. A charge that is accelerating in one inertial frame will accelerate in all inertial frames.

Incidentally, a frame is not a single observer. It's often described as a lattice of rods and clocks, which is not totally necessary, but it does effectively convey the global nature of a frame. You can use any inertial frame to work out what any observer observes.

Are you talking Special Relativity or General Relativity?

In SR a uniformly moving charge doesn't "radiate". You can however work out very nicely the magnetic field of a moving charge by simply finding the electrostatic field as seen in the frame where it is stationary and then transforming to the frame where it is moving.

It is when a charge is accelerated that you get emitted electromagnetic waves. For example an electron moving in "circles" in a uniform B field will actually spiral in toward the center of rotation as they slowly loose momentum from the emitted betatron radiation.

Oh thanks for the reply atyy, a while back before I read about relative EM, I had asked my teacher if only accelerated charges radiated, if not, Earth's motion would make it impossible for an electrostatic charge to exist on Earth's surface, was my argument. But my teacher was pretty crazy and got totally sidetracted without answering my question lol.

Related to Is Electromagnetism Relative and Does it Create a Paradox in Moving Frames?

1. What is the Electromagnetism Paradox?

The Electromagnetism Paradox is a theoretical problem in physics that concerns the behavior of charged particles in an electromagnetic field. It arises from the fact that according to classical physics, charged particles should experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field, yet in certain situations, no force is observed.

2. What are some examples of the Electromagnetism Paradox?

One example of the Electromagnetism Paradox is the motion of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field. According to classical physics, the particle should experience a circular motion, but in reality, it moves in a straight line. Another example is the motion of a charged particle in a region with zero magnetic field, where it should experience no force, but can still move in a circular path due to a non-zero electric field.

3. What is the significance of the Electromagnetism Paradox?

The Electromagnetism Paradox highlights the limitations of classical physics in explaining the behavior of charged particles in certain situations. It ultimately led to the development of quantum mechanics, which provides a more accurate description of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

4. Can the Electromagnetism Paradox be resolved?

Yes, the Electromagnetism Paradox can be resolved using quantum mechanics. In this framework, charged particles are described as wave-like entities, and their behavior is governed by the principles of uncertainty and probability. This allows for a more accurate prediction of their behavior in electromagnetic fields.

5. Are there any real-world implications of the Electromagnetism Paradox?

While the Electromagnetism Paradox may seem like a purely theoretical problem, it has real-world implications in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. These technologies rely on our understanding of electromagnetism and the behavior of charged particles, which is greatly influenced by quantum mechanics and the resolution of the Electromagnetism Paradox.