Is Double Dime Really Code for a 55mph Speed Limit?

In summary, the person asked me what a dime was and I replied with double nickel, which referred to the 55 mph speed limit on interstate highways in the US at the time. I found out that the term "double dime" is 10 cents, and I am angry because I don't remember this.
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Someone asked me what a dime was (this is UK.) I, not knowing, nevertheless promptly replied, it must be 5 cents, because they called their 55mph speed limit the double dime. Then of course went to Google to check and found that it is 10 cents.
How does double 10 become 55? So back to Google to search for double dime. I found only one clear reference, on a developer site in 2013:

orangethirty on May 7, 2013 [-] "All I'm stating is that the double dime speed limit was enforced as a measure to reduce fuel consumption."

Alternatively I found a Minuteman album , "Double Nickels on the Dime", which refers to driving at 55mph on the interstate 10.

So, the only place I know there are lots of US citizens of an age to remember fuel shortages and national speed restriction, is here on PF.

Have I gone senile? Are the only people, who think double dime was a 55mph speed limit, orangethirty and I? If not, how come double dime is 55?

Science news on Phys.org
I remember hearing "double nickels". A nickel is a coin worth 5 cents. I have never heard of 'double dime", though.

Likes hmmm27, Vanadium 50 and jtbell
Yes, “double nickel” is the only slang term I remember ever seeing/hearing for this. I was in college in the early 1970s when the 55 mph speed limit became a national mandate.

Likes Vanadium 50
Agreed, "double nickle" is 55mph -- we used to use it on CB Radio all the time back in the 70's.

"Dime" has a different meaning in basketball...

https://wordcounter.net/blog/2016/03/07/101271_what-is-a-dime-basketball.html

1580663369673.png

Likes Vanadium 50
Merlin3189 said:
orangethirty on May 7, 2013 [-] "All I'm stating is that the double dime speed limit was enforced as a measure to reduce fuel consumption."
orangethirty has no clue. The term was "double nickel," which referred to the 55 mph speed limit on interstate highways in the US at the time, due to the gasoline shortages.

Likes Vanadium 50
Perhaps you are referring to an older American expression from crime novels and movies "drop a dime"; that is, to use an old style pay telephone to inform to the police; "grass" in UK slang.

"Angry with her gangster boyfriend, the Lady in Red drops a dime on Dillinger; never imagining the cops would cut him down in a hail of bullets."

Related to Is Double Dime Really Code for a 55mph Speed Limit?

1. What is the meaning of "Double dime" in the term "Double dime - a speed limit?"

The term "double dime" refers to a speed limit of 55 miles per hour, which was implemented in the United States in 1974 during the oil crisis. It was known as the "double nickel" because it doubled the previous speed limit of 25 miles per hour. "Double dime" is another term used to refer to this speed limit.

2. Why was the "Double dime" speed limit implemented?

The "double dime" speed limit was implemented as a response to the oil crisis of 1973. The United States government believed that reducing the speed limit would conserve fuel and help alleviate the effects of the crisis.

3. When was the "Double dime" speed limit repealed?

The "double dime" speed limit was repealed in 1995 with the passing of the National Highway System Designation Act. This act allowed states to set their own speed limits on certain roads.

4. Did the "Double dime" speed limit have any lasting impacts?

Yes, the "double dime" speed limit had several lasting impacts. It helped reduce fuel consumption and emissions, leading to improved air quality. It also contributed to a decrease in traffic fatalities. Additionally, the "double dime" speed limit sparked debates and discussions about speed limits and their effects on various aspects of society.

5. Is the "Double dime" speed limit still in effect anywhere?

No, the "double dime" speed limit is no longer in effect anywhere in the United States. However, some states still have speed limits of 55 miles per hour on certain roads, but it is not mandated by the federal government.