Is differentiation a possible approach?

In summary, the question is asking for the effect of changing the drag coefficient 'b' on how quickly terminal velocity is attained in a velocity function that accounts for drag forces. This can be determined by finding the derivative of the velocity function with respect to 'b' and analyzing its rate of change over time, specifically the second derivative.
wirefree
Question:
I have a function of time. Its expression has a constant 'b' in it. I am asked to ascertain how changing 'b' affects the function.

Specifically, I have velocity as a function of time which accounts for drag forces; 'b' is the drag coefficient. I am asked to ascertain how changing 'b' affects how quickly terminal velocity is attained.

Attempt 1:
I understand that Calculus is the study of change. I am tempted to employ it. Hence, I obtained the derivative of the velocity function [tex] \frac{dv}{db}[/tex]

Trouble:
My limited understanding also tells me 'derivatives' help me determine how quickly a function changes given a change in one of its variables. I doubt if that's what my velocity-b context is demanding.

Attempt 2:
I have also labored through studying [tex]v(t)[/tex] graphs for different values of 'b'.

Trouble:
I am not in favor of the method from Attempt 2 since it's labor-intensive and, perhaps, crude (do you agree?).Any guidance as to how to address this question would be greatly appreciated.wirefree

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of v with respect to b ([itex]\partial v/\partial b[/itex]) while holding other variables or parameters constant is the "rate of change of v as b changes".

Likes wirefree
Appreciate the response, HallsofIvy. It has prompted me to consider the situation.

The derivative of v with respect to b while holding other variables or parameters constant, or the rate of change of v as b changes, if positive, will indicate that v increases as b increases. But that's not what the question concerns itself with. To restate it: for different values of b, does v change over time faster?

How do I address such a situation, please?

Regards,
wirefree

rbxf0w.gif

Would appreciate some guidance on how to interpret the above expression.

Regards,
wirefree

wirefree said:
Appreciate the response, HallsofIvy. It has prompted me to consider the situation.

The derivative of v with respect to b while holding other variables or parameters constant, or the rate of change of v as b changes, if positive, will indicate that v increases as b increases. But that's not what the question concerns itself with. To restate it: for different values of b, does v change over time faster?
Faster than what? Or do you mean that the rate of change itself is increasing? That will be true when the second derivative is positive.

How do I address such a situation, please?

Regards,
wirefree

Related to Is differentiation a possible approach?

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a teaching approach that involves tailoring instruction to meet the individual needs and abilities of students. It seeks to address the diverse learning styles and abilities of students in a classroom.

2. Can differentiation be effective for all students?

While differentiation can be effective for most students, it may not be suitable for every student. Some students may still struggle with certain concepts or may not respond well to a differentiated approach. It is important for teachers to continuously assess the effectiveness of differentiation for each student.

3. How does differentiation work in the classroom?

Differentiation involves providing multiple options for students to learn and demonstrate their understanding of a concept. This can include using different teaching methods, providing varied assignments or assessments, and offering support or extensions based on individual needs.

4. What are the benefits of differentiation?

Differentiation can benefit both students and teachers. It allows students to learn in a way that best suits their needs, promotes a positive learning environment, and can improve overall academic performance. For teachers, it allows for a more dynamic and engaging classroom, and can help to better meet the needs of all students.

5. How can teachers effectively implement differentiation?

Effective implementation of differentiation requires careful planning and preparation. Teachers should have a clear understanding of their students' individual needs and abilities, and should regularly assess their progress. They should also be flexible and open to adjusting their instruction to better meet the needs of their students.