Is Differentiating a Sinusoid the Same as Multiplying by jω?

In summary: The issue is that I don't see how the author derived ##\frac { dv }{ dt } \leftrightarrow\overrightarrow { V } j\omega##.
Turion
The textbook says that differentiating a sinusoid is the same as multiplying the phasor by jω. Shouldn't jω be jωejωt?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 433
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Turion! :smile:
Turion said:
The textbook says that differentiating a sinusoid is the same as multiplying the phasor by jω. Shouldn't jω be jωejωt?

No, you start with Re(Vejωt),

and differentiating gives you Re(jωVejωt). :wink:

[tex]So:\\ v(t)=Re(\overrightarrow { V } { e }^{ jωt })\\ \frac { dv(t) }{ dt } =Re(j\omega \overrightarrow { V } { e }^{ jωt })\\ \frac { dv(t) }{ dt } =j\omega v(t)\\ \\ But\quad the\quad book\quad asserts\quad that:\\ \frac { d\overrightarrow { V } }{ dt } =\overrightarrow { V } j\omega [/tex]

The book asserts that if V1 and V2 are phasors that represent v(t) and dv(t)/dt, respectively, then they are related by:

V2 = jωV1

milesyoung said:
The book asserts that if V1 and V2 are phasors that represent v(t) and dv(t)/dt, respectively, then they are related by:

V2 = jωV1

Isn't that what I just posted?

Turion said:
[tex]But\quad the\quad book\quad asserts\quad that:\\ \frac { d\overrightarrow { V } }{ dt } =\overrightarrow { V } j\omega [/tex]

No, it asserts that [tex]\frac { dv}{ dt } \leftrightarrow \overrightarrow { V } j\omega [/tex]

(You can't have dV/dt anyway, since V (the "complex voltage") is a constant! :wink:)

See eg https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=303

You wrote:
Re(jωVejωt) = jωv(t)

which isn't true. The LHS is real, the RHS is complex.

V is a constant, so the last line is:
0 = jωV

Edit:
tiny-tim beat me to it.

[tex]So\quad \frac { dv }{ dt } =\overrightarrow { V } j\omega \quad is\quad right\quad and\quad \frac { dv }{ dt } =vj\omega \quad is\quad wrong.\\ How\quad did\quad the\quad author\quad derive\quad that\quad \frac { dv }{ dt } =\overrightarrow { V } j\omega ?[/tex]

You need to keep track of V and v.
They represent the voltage in different domains: one is real and the other complex, and they never "live" in the same space. Hence, they are not the same thing.

Phasors is just shorthand. What you are "really" doing is applying a Fourier transform to a differential equation. This is not something you have to worry about as long as you keep the usual rules for phasors in mind, but it helps explain why V and v are fundamentally very different.

Turion said:
[tex]So\quad \frac { dv }{ dt } =\overrightarrow { V } j\omega \quad is\quad right[/tex]

No!

As both milesyoung :smile: and I have said, V is constant.

dv/dt is not constant, it's sinusoidal, it can't equal jωV.

Your book doesn't say =, it says ##\leftrightarrow##.

The v and V methods are completely different and incompatible (see the link above).

tiny-tim said:
Your book doesn't say =, it says ##\leftrightarrow##.

There's a difference? I wasn't aware.

Turion said:
There's a difference? I wasn't aware.

erm … yes!

Books don't use fancy symbols like that if they don't need to!

= means that the LHS and RHS (as f95toli :smile: says) "live" in the same space.

##\leftrightarrow## is used to show that the LHS and RHS are completely different, but that they represent the same thing.

Turion, you need to read all about complex voltage and current again, from the start.

tiny-tim said:
erm … yes!

Books don't use fancy symbols like that if they don't need to!

= means that the LHS and RHS (as f95toli :smile: says) "live" in the same space.

##\leftrightarrow## is used to show that the LHS and RHS are completely different, but that they represent the same thing.

Turion, you need to read all about complex voltage and current again, from the start.

I don't see a derivation in your library entry as attached.

The issue is that I don't see how the author derived ##\frac { dv }{ dt } \leftrightarrow\overrightarrow { V } j\omega##.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 433
Turion said:
I don't see a derivation in your library entry as attached.

The issue is that I don't see how the author derived ##\frac { dv }{ dt } \leftrightarrow\overrightarrow { V } j\omega##.

I don't see how you don't see it, both in the book and in the library entry. :confused:

You really need to spend an hour studying this, from the start.​

Normally this type of problem is encountered in transmission line theory.Here the derivative must be replaced by partial derivative.V is being converted to frequency domain in this problem.This is called the phasor form.This type of conversion reduces the computation steps involved in the time domain form.If you again want to convert to time domain form then multiply the right hand expression of the phasor form with exp(jwt) and then take the real part i.e. only cosine part.

[itex]\partial[/itex]V/[itex]\partial[/itex]t=Re(jwVsexp(jwt)).
This means taking the real part ,of phasor form multiplied with exp(jwt), gives you back the time domain form of V.
Here phasor form is jwVs.

Related to Is Differentiating a Sinusoid the Same as Multiplying by jω?

What is a sinusoid?

A sinusoid is a mathematical curve that is characterized by its amplitude, frequency, and phase. It is a fundamental mathematical function that is used to model many physical phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and alternating current.

What is the equation for a sinusoid?

The general equation for a sinusoid is y = A sin(Bx + C), where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, and C is the phase shift. This equation can also be expressed as y = A cos(Bx + C), depending on the starting point of the curve.

How do you differentiate a sinusoid?

To differentiate a sinusoid, you can use the basic rules of differentiation. For example, if y = A sin(Bx + C), then the derivative is given by dy/dx = AB cos(Bx + C). Similarly, if y = A cos(Bx + C), then the derivative is given by dy/dx = -AB sin(Bx + C).

What is the purpose of differentiating a sinusoid?

Differentiating a sinusoid can help us analyze and understand the behavior of the curve. It allows us to calculate the rate of change, find the maximum and minimum points, and determine the slope of the curve at a specific point. This information is useful in a variety of applications, such as signal processing, physics, and engineering.

Is it possible to differentiate a sinusoid with respect to time?

Yes, it is possible to differentiate a sinusoid with respect to time. In fact, this is a common application in physics and engineering, where time is often the independent variable. By differentiating a sinusoid with respect to time, we can analyze the dynamics of a system and make predictions about its future behavior.