Is Detailed Balance Satisfied in a Two-State System in Quantum Mechanics?

• I
  • Thread starter cozycoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of detailed balance in quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to transition rates between two states in a system. Detailed balance refers to the equilibrium condition where the transition probabilities and their reverse processes cancel each other out, and it can be described using the Boltzmann distribution. This means that the transition rates for absorption and emission are equal, and it is a key principle in understanding equilibrium in Markov processes.
cozycoz
In quantum mechanics, I've learned that when there are incident photons with energy spectral density ##ρ(ω)## , two states system with ##E_i## and ##E_n## (##E_n > E_i##) goes through transition (absorption and emission) with transition rate [tex]Γ_{i→n}=Γ_{n→i}=\frac {2π}{ħ}|V_{ni}|^2ρ(E_n-E_i).[/tex]Is this detailed balance,? Wikipedia says that detailed balance definition is that "At equilibrium, each elementary process should be equilibrated by its reverse process."
Actually when I calculate transition rates with two states system, it seems that both emission and absorption process always have the same transition rate. Can I refer this as detailed balance? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability in a Markov process for a particular transition from eg. i to n is given by (transition rate i->n)*(probability of i), or ##\Gamma_{i \rightarrow n} P_i##. The detailed balance condition says that there is an equilibrium probability distribution ##\Pi_i## for the process (for instance a Boltzmann distribution) such that ##\Gamma_{i \rightarrow n} \Pi_i = \Gamma_{n \rightarrow i} \Pi_n##, ie. the transition probabilities and their reverse cancel each other for each pair of states i and n. Taking the Boltzmann distribution in particular, this means that ##\Gamma_{i \rightarrow n} e^{- \beta E_i} = \Gamma_{n \rightarrow i} e^{- \beta E_n}##.

Related to Is Detailed Balance Satisfied in a Two-State System in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is the concept of detailed balance?

Detailed balance is a concept in physics and chemistry that describes the equilibrium state of a system. It states that the rate of forward and backward reactions in a reversible process are equal when the system is at equilibrium.

2. How is detailed balance related to thermodynamics?

Detailed balance is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in a closed system, the total entropy (or disorder) will always increase over time. Detailed balance ensures that a system is in equilibrium and has reached its maximum entropy state.

3. What is the significance of detailed balance in chemical reactions?

Detailed balance is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions. It helps determine the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products, as well as the reaction rate and direction.

4. Can detailed balance be violated?

In theory, detailed balance can be violated in certain systems, such as non-equilibrium systems or systems with external energy sources. However, in most cases, the system will eventually reach equilibrium and follow detailed balance.

5. How is detailed balance used in statistical mechanics?

Detailed balance is a fundamental principle in statistical mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It is used to calculate the equilibrium properties of a system, such as the distribution of particles, based on the interactions between them.