Is Dark Matter the Key to Solving Galactic Mysteries?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of dark matter and its implications in different areas of astrophysics, including explaining spiral galaxy rotation curves, galaxy cluster dynamics, and cosmological observations. The participants also mention the need for theories to be consistent with existing observations and the importance of publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
solaisenberg
This should help clear up the mystery. What do you think?

DARK MATTER EXPLAINED

[Nereid's note: please check your mailbox, soliasenberg, for why your post was deleted.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think this belongs on IR. Anyone?

selfAdjoint said:
I think this belongs on IR. Anyone?
For sure, and it would be nice if anyone with a profound theory knew the difference between "rotating" and "revolving"...:zzz:

proof reading error

Sorry about the error in proof reading and the confusion between rotating and revolving. Apparently I may be spending too much time in comunicating new information that can prevent smart people from going in the wrong scientific directions.

Actually the errors in the standard model of the univese are much more serious and costly.

Try to focus on what is important.

Are there any serious comments and questions - or is this the wrong place for communicating?

Hi! Welcome to these Forums solaisenberg.

First if this is your own theory, or somebody else's, that has not been published in a peer reviewed journal then it must be posted on the Independent Research Forum fulfilling all the requirements about experimental results etc. You will find the details here.

Secondly DM is required to fit observations in four places:

To explain spiral galaxy 'flat' rotation curves - see the present discussion on Over estimate of dark matter .

However it is also required to explain galaxy cluster dynamics and the Intra Galactic Medium DM is independently confirmed by gravitational lensing of more distant quasars.

It is required to dominate large structure formation, especially in the early universe.

It is also required cosmologically to make up a material density of around 27% critical density whereas the standard BBN can only produce about 4% baryonic matter.

So does your theory fit the bill? I look forward to reading about it on IR.

Garth

Labguy said:
For sure, and it would be nice if anyone with a profound theory knew the difference between "rotating" and "revolving"...:zzz:

NOTE: I really do know the difference.

The term "flat rotation curves" has been used by others in connection with galaxies.

Do a Google search on "flat rotation curves" to see examples. One is at www.astro.cornell.edu

Actually the concept of extended gravity increasing with a term linear in distance is my own, starting in about 1998, and with other surprising implications - all based upon published observations of others. The extension is only apparent at cosmic distances and does not invalidate Newton's law - which is only based upon nearby observations in our solar system.

It is different from the interesting MOND theory of M. Milgrom - which depends upon acceleration and not distance.

Details should be available in my submitted papers and in a book -if I can find the time.

solaisenberg

Remember that as Garth explained, there are many reasons for suggesting the existence of DM, not just galaxy rotation. You should ensure your ideas are consistent with the big picture, not just one issue. I also look forward to reading more about your ideas in the IR forum.

Just to add to the second of Garth's four points ("required to explain galaxy cluster dynamics and the Intra Galactic Medium DM"): in addition to gravitational lensing observations, the DM estimates for rich clusters must also satisfy the independent observations of cluster member velocity dispersions (via the virial theorem*), the several kinds of x-ray observations, and the SZE observations.

In principle, it's relatively straight-forward to imagine an alternative being able to account for one, or even two, of these; to account for all of them - consistently - is a very different kettle of fish.

*This is how "DM" was first 'found', by Zwicky, in the 1930s!

Related to Is Dark Matter the Key to Solving Galactic Mysteries?

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light, making it invisible and difficult to detect.

2. Why is finding dark matter important?

Finding dark matter is important because it can help us understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and stability of galaxies.

3. How do scientists search for dark matter?

Scientists use various methods to search for dark matter, including astronomical observations, particle accelerators, and underground detectors. They also study the effects of dark matter on visible matter and gravitational lensing.

4. What are some proposed theories about the nature of dark matter?

One theory suggests that dark matter is made up of weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs), while another proposes that it is made up of axions, a type of hypothetical particle. Other theories suggest that dark matter could be made up of primordial black holes or even modified laws of gravity.

5. Have scientists found any evidence of dark matter?

While there is strong evidence for the existence of dark matter, it has not yet been directly detected. Scientists continue to search for dark matter using various methods and technologies in order to better understand its properties and role in the universe.