Is Contour Integration the Key to Solving This Integral?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, A POTW is a challenging problem given to students in math or science classes with a set time limit. Contour integration is a method used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along a given contour or path. It can be useful for solving POTWs that involve complex integrals and functions, but may not be suitable for all types of problems. Resources such as textbooks and online tutorials are available for learning contour integration.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem.

-----

Problem: Using contour integration, show that

\[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos x}{(x^2+1)^2}\,dx = \frac{\pi}{e}.\]

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's question was correctly answered by Sudharaka. You can find his solution below.

Let us consider the contour integral, \(\displaystyle\int_{C}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\) where \(C\) is the semicircle that bounds the upper half of the disk of radius \(a>1\) centered at the origin.

\[\int_{C}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz=\int_{C} \frac{\frac{e^{iz}}{(z+i)^2}}{(z-i)^2}\,dz\]Since both \(e^{iz}\) and \(\displaystyle\frac{1}{(z+i)^2}\) are holomorphic on and inside the contour \(C\), \(\displaystyle\frac{e^{iz}}{(z+i)^2}\) is also holomorphic on and inside \(C\). Also \(i\) lies within \(C\). Therefore by Cauchy's Integral formula we get,\begin{eqnarray}\int_{C}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz&=&2\pi i\frac{d}{dz}\left[\frac{e^{iz}}{(z+i)^2}\right]_{z=i}\\&=&\frac{\pi}{e}\\\end{eqnarray}Note that, \(\displaystyle\int_{C}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz=\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz+\int_{arc}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz\) where \(arc\) is the arc of the semicircle \(C\).\[\therefore\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz=\frac{\pi}{e}-\int_{arc}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz~~~~~~~~~~~(1)\]On the semicircular arc, \(z=a(\cos\theta+i\sin\theta)\mbox{ where }0\leq\theta\leq\pi\mbox{ is the argument of }z.\)\begin{eqnarray}\therefore|e^{iz}|&=&|e^{ia(\cos\theta+i\sin\theta)}|\\&=&e^{-a\sin\theta}~~~~~~~~~~~~(2)\\\end{eqnarray}Since \(a>1\) by the reverse triangle inequality we get,\[|z^2+1|^2\geq||z|^2-1|^2=(a^2-1)^2\]\[\Rightarrow\frac{1}{|z^2+1|}\leq\frac{1}{(a^2-1)^2}~~~~~~~~~~~~~(3)\]By (2) and (3),\[\left|\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\right|\leq\frac{e^{-a\sin\theta}}{(a^2-1)^2}~~~~~~~~~~~~(4)\]Applying the Estimation lemma to, \(\displaystyle\int_{arc}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2} \,dz\) and using (4) we get,\[\left|\int_{arc}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz\right|\leq\frac{\pi ae^{-a\sin\theta}}{(a^2-1)^2}\mbox{ where }a>1\mbox{ and }0\leq\theta\leq\pi\] Therefore by the Squeeze theorem,\[\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}\int_{arc}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz=0~~~~~~~~~~~(5)\]By (1) and (5),\[\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{e^{iz}}{(z^2+1)^2}\,dz=\frac{\pi}{e}\]Using the Euler's formula we get,
\[\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}\left[\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{\cos x}{(x^2+1)^2}\,dx+i\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{\sin x}{(x^2+1)^2}\,dx\right] = \frac{\pi}{e}\]Since, \(\displaystyle\frac{\sin x}{(x^2+1)^2}\) is an odd function, \(\displaystyle\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{\sin x}{(x^2+1)^2}\,dx = 0\).\[\therefore\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos x}{(x^2+1)^2}\,dx = \frac{\pi}{e}\]

Related to Is Contour Integration the Key to Solving This Integral?

1. What is a POTW?

A POTW is a "problem of the week" typically found in math or science classes, where students are given a challenging problem to solve within a set period of time.

2. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a method used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along a given contour or path. It involves using the properties of complex numbers and functions to simplify the integration process.

3. Why is contour integration useful for solving POTWs?

Contour integration can be useful for solving POTWs because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that may not have a direct solution. It also provides a systematic approach to solving problems and allows for the use of various techniques such as residue calculus.

4. Can contour integration be used to solve any type of POTW?

No, contour integration is most commonly used for solving problems involving complex functions and integrals. It may not be suitable for all types of POTWs, but it can be a helpful tool for many challenging problems.

5. Are there any resources available for learning contour integration?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning contour integration, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of complex numbers and basic integration techniques before tackling more complex problems using contour integration.