Is Congressman Ney's Guilty Plea the First of Many in the Abramoff Scandal?

• News
  • Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
In summary, Congressman Bob Ney has pleaded guilty to illegally accepting tens of thousands of dollars in trips, meals, drinks, and tickets from convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff. He has also admitted to deceiving the public and the U.S. House of Representatives about his actions. He has stepped down temporarily from his position as chairman of the House Administration Committee, citing distractions caused by false allegations. Another congressman, William Jefferson, has also been implicated in a bribery scandal and is seeking a ninth term in office. Ney's excuse for his actions is a dependence on alcohol, but he has also acknowledged that he takes full responsibility for his actions. One example of his corrupt behavior is introducing an amendment to benefit a foreign client of Abram
Rach3
WASHINGTON, Sept 15 (Reuters) - A Republican congressman agreed to plead guilty to illegally accepting tens of thousands of dollars in trips, meals, drinks and tickets, becoming the first U.S. lawmaker convicted in the Jack Abramoff political corruption scandal, U.S. officials said on Friday.

The plea deal represented a sharp reversal for Ohio Rep. Bob Ney, who had denied any wrongdoing. He was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1994 and abandoned his race for re-election last month as the federal investigation intensified into his links to the convicted lobbyist Abramoff.
"Congressman Ney admits that he corruptly solicited and accepted a stream of benefits valued at tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for agreeing to perform and performing a series of official acts," Assistant Attorney General Alice Fisher said.

"He also admitted deceiving the public and the U.S. House of Representatives about his actions," she said.
http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=bondsNews&storyID=2006-09-15T220645Z_01_N1556246_RTRIDST_0_CRIME-ABRAMOFF-NEY-UPDATE-2.XML

And there you have it!

Physics news on Phys.org
(Tom D., Bill J., take a hint.)

And here's my PF post about good ol' Bob from waaaayyyy back in January:

a much younger Rach3 said:

Bob Ney: Another House leader steps down "temporarily"

WASHINGTON - Rep. Bob Ney (news, bio, voting record), an Ohio Republican implicated in a lobbying corruption investigation, said Sunday he will step aside temporarily as chairman of the House Administration Committee.

"Unfortunately it has become clear to me in recent days that the false allegations made against me have become a distraction to the important work of the House Republican Conference and the important work that remains ahead for the House Administration Committee," Ney said in a written statement.
Court papers released as part of Abramoff's plea to charges of conspiracy, mail fraud and income tax evasion detailed lavish gifts and contributions that Abramoff says he gave an unnamed House member, identified elsewhere as Ney.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060116/ap_on_go_co/ney_abramoff (emphasis mine)

My hat says this one's finished for good.
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-106909.html

And, what do you know? My hat was right! :biggrin:

"...false allegations made against me have become a distraction to the important work..."

gotta love that optimism!

Last edited by a moderator:
This one's next:

Unbeknownst to the two men, the Federal Bureau of Investigation had been monitoring their dealings. Less than three weeks later, agents raided Mr. Jefferson’s homes, in Washington and in New Orleans, and found stacks of cash stuffed in a freezer.

Mr. Jackson, 54, has pleaded guilty to paying more than $400,000 in bribes for Mr. Jefferson’s help; on Sept. 8, he was sentenced to seven years in prison.
Mr. Jefferson, who is seeking a ninth term in office, said earlier this year that his family’s dealings with Mr. Jackson were legitimate, and that when “all is said and done, you will see that there is an honorable explanation for everything.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/16/washington/16jefferson.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin

"Honorable explanation" - that means he puts on airs and goes "I admit I did bad things. They were wrong. I feel sorrow for the American people." Of course you have to be more eloquent and honor-filled than that; Mr. Jefferson, may I recommend the Bob Ney statement referenced in the above NYT article? Or perhaps you would prefer the more pathos-heavy Randy Cunningham episode from last spring?

Back to Bob Ney.

Guide for corrupt congressmen: when you get caught, how to excuse your actions.

Ney said:
“I have come to recognize that a dependence on alcohol has been a problem for me,” said Mr. Ney, who friends say entered an in-patient alcohol-treatment facility this week.
Ney makes excuses.
“I am not making any excuses, and I take full responsibility for my actions.”
Ney excuses his excuses.
Ironic he thinks up alcoholism. Look what this United States Congressman accepted bribes for:

In 2002, Mr. Ney admitted, he introduced an amendment in the House to allow a “foreign-beverage-distiller client of Abramoff’s lobbying firm” to label its alcohol as “made in Russia” when in fact it was to be distilled in a former Soviet Republic outside of Russia.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/16/us/16ney.html?ref=us

1. What is the background story of Rep. Ney's guilty plea?

Rep. Ney, also known as Bob Ney, was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio. He was charged with corruption and conspiracy in relation to the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal in 2006. After initially denying any wrongdoing, Ney eventually pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy and resigned from his position in Congress.

2. What were the specific charges that Rep. Ney pleaded guilty to?

Rep. Ney pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, false statements, and violating lobbying rules. He also admitted to accepting bribes and gifts from lobbyist Jack Abramoff in exchange for political favors.

3. How did Rep. Ney's guilty plea impact his political career?

Rep. Ney's guilty plea led to his resignation from Congress and he was sentenced to 30 months in prison. He also faced a fine and was required to pay restitution to the government. Additionally, his guilty plea damaged his reputation and ended his political career.

4. Did anyone else face charges in connection with the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal?

Yes, several other individuals, including lobbyists, politicians, and government officials, were also charged and convicted in connection with the scandal. This included former Congressman Tom DeLay, who was convicted on money laundering charges.

5. What was the significance of Rep. Ney's guilty plea in the larger context of political corruption in the United States?

Rep. Ney's guilty plea highlighted the pervasive issue of political corruption in the United States and the influence of money in politics. It also led to stricter lobbying regulations and increased scrutiny of political contributions and favors. Additionally, it served as a warning to other politicians that corruption and unethical behavior will not be tolerated.