Is Comunitative Group a Group?

• Thread starter physicsjock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, if you have a commutative group, and you have a set with a binary operation that every element is its own inverse, then this will be a group.
physicsjock
Hey,

I have a small question about groups,

If you have a comunitative 'group' H = <a in H : a2=1>,

Is that enough information to show that it is a group, without knowing the binary operation?

say b is also in H

then a*b=b*a

(a*b)*(b*a) = (a*a)*(b*b) = 1 (since its comunitative)

So that shows there is an identity, and each element is it's own inverse

It's also associative so everything is satisfied for H to be a group,

So only knowing these two properties of this group can show that it is indeed a group?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, and how do you know it's associative?

Give us more precise name of your starting structure.

physicsjock said:
So only knowing these two properties of this group can show that it is indeed a group?
No, if you have some set H, with a binary operation HxH → H, such that all (a,a) maps to same element (that we may call 1), then this will in general not be a group. You have that every element is its own inverse wrt to the element 1, but 1 is not a unit element (which requires that a*1=1*a=a), and you do not have associativity as there are absolutely no conditions set to the value of a*b with a≠b.

I didnt understand the word "comunitative", but you may have meant commutative, which btw is not taking you a lot further to making this into a group.

So I have a set <a in H : a^2=1> where H is a commutative group,
1 being the identity, and aa means a*a, sorry should have specified before

I have been told it is a group but I just want to see if I can justify it myself, having no clear binary operation confused me.

So I know each element is it's own inverse, and it does contain an identity element, 1

To show associativity , for a,b and c in the set

(a*b)*c=a*(b*c)

(a*c)*b= b*(a*c)

(a*c)*b= (a*c)*b

so all boxes ticked?

Last edited:
Maybe you want to show that subset of H <a in H : a^2=1> is a subgroup of H?

In this case, you don't need to worry about associativity etc., only under closure of operations. There are three operation you need to verify, one nullary - taking unit, one unary - taking inverse and one binary - multiplication.

Related to Is Comunitative Group a Group?

1. What is a commutative group?

A commutative group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set and an operation that is commutative, meaning the order in which the operation is performed does not affect the result. This means that for any two elements in the group, the result of the operation will be the same regardless of the order in which they are combined.

2. What are the properties of a commutative group?

A commutative group must satisfy three properties: closure, associativity, and identity. Closure means that the result of the operation on any two elements in the group is also an element in the group. Associativity means that the order in which the operation is performed does not matter. Identity means that the group has an element that, when combined with any other element, produces that same element.

3. How is a commutative group different from a non-commutative group?

The main difference between a commutative group and a non-commutative group is the property of commutativity. In a non-commutative group, the order in which the operation is performed does affect the result. This means that for some elements in the group, the operation may produce a different result depending on the order in which they are combined.

4. What are some examples of commutative groups?

Some common examples of commutative groups include the group of integers under addition, the group of real numbers (excluding zero) under multiplication, and the group of complex numbers (excluding zero) under multiplication.

5. How is a commutative group used in real life?

Commutative groups have many real-life applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In cryptography, commutative groups are used in public key encryption systems. In coding theory, they are used to create error-correcting codes. In physics, commutative groups are used to describe symmetries in physical systems.