Is Colonizing the Sun Possible in the Distant Future?

In summary: No, not right now. But when it cools down, billions and billions of years from now?Depends on what you mean by "we" and "colonize". The Sun's end state is as a carbon/oxygen white dwarf, which will take many, many billions of years to cool to biologically compatible temperatures. But we could build a supra-mundane planet at its 1 gee level and colonize that. The result would be a shell planet 5.45 million kilometers across, which would provide a lot of surface area. To keep the Sun's corpse hot enough to sustain life indefinitely on the Shell we'd need a power source from outside the Sun. I suspect dark matter self-annihilation might prove
Dremmer
No, not right now. But when it cools down, billions and billions of years from now?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well done, answering your own question. Though your conclusion is a bit off.

Consider the enormous gravity of the sun...

Dremmer said:
No, not right now. But when it cools down, billions and billions of years from now?

I foresee troubles with this. Even the oldest white dwarves known are around 10,000K... so you'd have to wear some of those fancy heat-resistant auto-racing boots. (For reference, diamonds melt around 4000K).

I don't think so, at least not in forseeable future. Sun is super duper hot, huge gravity, huge pressur. I think right now the topic is to colonize the Mars (we can think of it...)

I highly doubt that "we" or any form of "we" will be here in billions and billions of years. I also don't see how you could ever colonise the sun unless you're suggesting floating cities. It would be easier to just build habitats in orbit of the sun.

Dremmer said:

Depends on what you mean by "we" and "colonize". The Sun's end state is as a carbon/oxygen white dwarf, which will take many, many billions of years to cool to biologically compatible temperatures. But we could build a supra-mundane planet at its 1 gee level and colonize that. The result would be a shell planet 5.45 million kilometers across, which would provide a lot of surface area. To keep the Sun's corpse hot enough to sustain life indefinitely on the Shell we'd need a power source from outside the Sun. I suspect dark matter self-annihilation might prove viable if we can figure how to capture enough.

A natural planet could remain in the Sun's white dwarf habitable zone for about 8 billion years - it'd orbit within the Shell!

Dremmer said:

qraal said:
Depends on what you mean by "we" and "colonize". The Sun's end state is as a carbon/oxygen white dwarf, which will take many, many billions of years to cool to biologically compatible temperatures. But we could build a supra-mundane planet at its 1 gee level and colonize that. The result would be a shell planet 5.45 million kilometers across, which would provide a lot of surface area. To keep the Sun's corpse hot enough to sustain life indefinitely on the Shell we'd need a power source from outside the Sun. I suspect dark matter self-annihilation might prove viable if we can figure how to capture enough.

A natural planet could remain in the Sun's white dwarf habitable zone for about 8 billion years - it'd orbit within the Shell!
Well before the sun shrinks to a white dwarf, it is supposed to expand to a red giant, which is supposed to engulf the inner solar system, including Earth and out to the orbit of Mars.

Actually a 'white' dwarf will be hotter than the sun.

Astronuc said:
Well before the sun shrinks to a white dwarf, it is supposed to expand to a red giant, which is supposed to engulf the inner solar system, including Earth and out to the orbit of Mars.

Actually a 'white' dwarf will be hotter than the sun.

Hi Astronuc

Well of course it's going to go red giant, but that's a temporary blip compared to the cool down time of a white dwarf. As for "hotter than the Sun", that is a brief era prior to the much more leisurely chill down period when it's as hot as the Sun. Eric Agol's paper on white dwarf habitable zones lays out the times involved...

http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.2791"

...even longer if it's a pure helium WD rather than a C/O WD, though helium WDs only happen if the star blows off too much mass before it hits the Helium Main Sequence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert, but I can see you'd have to do it at night.

Likes Czcibor
brocks said:

Zing!

brocks said:

Of course. One can do it during the day, but the sunblock needed...

qraal said:
Of course. One can do it during the day, but the sunblock needed...

So...SPF 30 or 10^20? The 1st one is waaay cheaper...

Nope, doubt it. It would take many billions of years. If the WD were to cool into a super dense planet, the gravity would kill us. Not only that but I think the density itself would keep the star too hot. It would aslo be really with a horrific rotational period. And by that time we will surely be on another planet in an attempt to escape from the initial Red Giant stage.

Lets say it did cool to be habitable or we could atleast land on it despite eveything. It might harbor some very exotic minerals. I wonder would there be giant diamonds beneath the crust? Or, a super mineral that held enough energy to power the US for 100 years? Also if you were to take a sample, would it expand from the lack of gravity like if you were to take a balloon from the bottom of the sea to the surface?

No, because it's theorized that humans will evolve into vampires.

Seriously, though, I doubt it. I don't see why we'd want to either. I can't picture a situation where we'd want or have to colonize a star over anything else. It seems absolutely unnecessary if it's even possible.

Agreed. Harvesting the Sun's energy is another probable question though

...the bottom line is that it would be a waste of ;time, money, lives and by that time we probably would have already colonized and polute some other planet we might call home ;)

Related to Is Colonizing the Sun Possible in the Distant Future?

1. Can we actually land on the surface of the Sun?

No, it is not possible for humans to land on the surface of the Sun. The Sun's surface is extremely hot, with temperatures of about 5,500 degrees Celsius. This is much hotter than the melting point of any known material, making it impossible for spacecraft or humans to survive on the surface.

2. Is there any chance of creating a habitable environment on the Sun?

No, it is not possible to create a habitable environment on the Sun. The extreme heat and radiation on the Sun's surface would make it impossible for any form of life as we know it to survive. Additionally, the Sun does not have a solid surface like other planets, so there is no place to build structures for living.

3. Can we use technology to cool down the Sun's surface?

No, it is not possible to cool down the Sun's surface using technology. The Sun's heat and energy are constantly generated by nuclear fusion reactions, and it is not possible for us to interfere with this process. Additionally, the amount of energy required to cool down the Sun would be far beyond our current technological capabilities.

4. Would it be possible to live on a planet or moon orbiting the Sun?

Yes, it is possible to live on a planet or moon orbiting the Sun. However, these bodies would need to be located at a safe distance from the Sun and have their own atmosphere and resources to support life. Currently, there are no known planets or moons that meet these criteria in our solar system.

5. How long would it take to travel to the Sun?

The exact time it would take to travel to the Sun depends on the spacecraft's speed and route. However, using current technology, it would take approximately 78 days to reach the Sun from Earth. This would require a spacecraft to travel at speeds of 60,000 km/hour.