Is Circular Polarisation the Same as Linear Polarisation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of linear and circular polarisation, with a focus on their differences and real-life applications. The speakers also touch on how polarised sunglasses work and how circular polarisers affect the appearance of objects. The conversation concludes with a confirmation of the concept and examples of how polarisation can reduce glare in certain situations.
Ezio3.1415
I have read about polarisation... just a little ques about concept...

in case of circular polarisation there is 90 degree phase difference between the two v and h, e field component... right...

and in case of linear polarisation the e field is restricted to oscillate in only one plane... right?

I think I am right about linear polarisation... It should be cause the linear polariser allows only one component of v and h ,to pass through... so there will be either v or h component passing through...

And can u tell me of some real life examples of linear and circular polarisation
? I know how they work... how malus's law works... just some real life examples... like why the new mobilenphones use circular polariser...(I heard I phone /pad has it...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Polaroid sunglasses are vertically polarized because glare from the sun is horizontally polarized.
The 3D Polaroid glasses are circularly polarized, at least the pair I have is.

I didn't understand your 1st example... How will we observe light then? the polaroid won't let any E component pass... so light won't too...

what does a circular polariser makes anything look like? for say,if u look at me,how will I look like?

and my concept is correct,right?

In general, sunlight has all polarizations. Light reflected from a road, for example, when you are looking into the sun, or if you are a fisherman looking at the water into the sun, much, but not all,of the reflected light is horizontally polarized. The vertically polarized sunglasses will reduce the glare more than the other light.

Circular polarized light looks the same as looking through regular sunglasses. However, when you have a pair of circular poloroid lenses, rotating them makes a difference as well as flipping them.

I can confirm that your understanding of polarisation of light is correct. In circular polarisation, the electric field oscillates in a circular motion with a 90 degree phase difference between the vertical and horizontal components. This is achieved by using a quarter-wave plate, which converts linearly polarised light into circularly polarised light.

In contrast, linear polarisation restricts the electric field to oscillate in only one plane. This is achieved by using a polarising filter, which allows only one component (vertical or horizontal) to pass through. This results in a linearly polarised beam of light.

Some real-life examples of linear polarisation include the use of polarising sunglasses to reduce glare from reflective surfaces such as water or snow. LCD screens also use linear polarisers to control the amount of light passing through the screen, resulting in the display of images or text.

Circular polarisation is commonly used in optical communication systems, where it helps to reduce interference and improve signal quality. It is also used in 3D glasses for movies, where different circularly polarised images are shown to each eye to create the illusion of depth.

As for the use of circular polarisers in mobile phones, it is believed that they are used to improve the visibility of the screen in bright sunlight. The circular polariser helps to reduce glare and reflections, making the screen easier to see. This is particularly useful for devices with touch screens, as it allows for better visibility and accuracy when using the device outdoors.

Related to Is Circular Polarisation the Same as Linear Polarisation?

What is polarisation of light?

Polarisation of light is the phenomenon where light waves oscillate in a single plane of direction. This results in light travelling in a specific direction, rather than in all directions.

How does polarisation of light occur?

Polarisation of light can occur through various processes such as reflection, scattering, and transmission. When light waves interact with certain materials or surfaces, the waves can become aligned in a specific direction, resulting in polarisation.

What are the applications of polarisation of light?

Polarisation of light has many practical applications, such as in 3D glasses, LCD screens, and polarising filters for photography. It is also used in scientific research and experiments to study the properties of light and its interactions with matter.

What is the difference between linear and circular polarisation?

Linear polarisation refers to light waves oscillating in a single plane, while circular polarisation refers to light waves rotating in a circular motion. Linear polarisation is commonly used in everyday applications, while circular polarisation is more useful in scientific research and communication technologies.

Can polarisation of light be reversed?

Yes, polarisation of light can be reversed through a process called polarization reversal. This can be achieved by passing polarised light through certain materials or using special filters that can change the direction of the polarisation.