Is Choice A Correct for Comparing GRE Math Quantities?

In summary, the conversation is about a question from a GRE quantitative practice test that seems to have a typo or error in the answer choices. The discussion also includes attempts at solving the problem and comparing the solutions to the two equations, with some confusion and disagreement among the participants.
MartinV279
I was going through some GRE Quantitative Practice Tests, and found this question. Maybe I'm not understanding the question right (not a native speaker, and have never solved math problems in English), but choice B doesn't seem correct to me.
Solutions for x (Quantity A) are 6 and -1, and for y(Quantity B) are -3 and -3. Meaning, -3<6 and -3<-1.
Shouldn't A be correct?
Also, there's an explanation at the bottom which is correct in general but can't seem to understand how it proves the correct choice.

X4x7Qis.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I think you're right. The answer makes no sense. Also the explanation seems to be geared toward a problem of quantity A=c value and quantity B=k value.

Perhaps you can send it to someone at the GRE center for clarification.

Likes MartinV279
The answer given doesn't match the question, as far as I can see, so my guess is that there is a significant typo in the question. In the answer shown, they talk about factors (x + 2) and (x + 3).
The equation in x that they give is equivalent to x2 - 5x -6 = 0, or (x - 6)(x + 1) = 0, so x = 6 or x = -1.
The equation in y is equivalent to (y + 3)2 = 0, so y = -3.

For the two equations, both values of x are larger than the single y value.

Last edited:
Unless I miscalculated, if ## y = -3 ## then ## x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0 ## which gives ## x ## the value ## {5 \pm i\sqrt{47}} \over {2} ##. Since reals and complexes cannot be compared, I would say D! (I think there's a mistake in the printing.)

aikismos said:
Unless I miscalculated, if ## y = -3 ## then ## x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0 ##
I don't see how you got your last equation. The two equations are independent of one another, so how does a value for y result in ##x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0##?
aikismos said:
which gives ## x ## the value ## {5 \pm i\sqrt{47}} \over {2} ##. Since reals and complexes cannot be compared, I would say D! (I think there's a mistake in the printing.)

Mark44 said:
I don't see how you got your last equation. The two equations are independent of one another, so how does a value for y result in ##x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0##?

<EDIT> Ignore this post. Misread the scanned problem. </EDIT>

Since you have ## E_1 = E_2 = E_3 ##, you merely solve ## E_2 = E_3 ## first, and then substitute your value of ## y ## back into ## E_1 = E_2 ##.

## E_2 = E_3 : -y^2 + 3y = 9y + 9 ##
## -y^2 + 3y = 9y + 9 \rightarrow (y + 3)^2 = 0 \rightarrow y = -3 ##

## E_1 = E_2 : x^2 - 5x = -y^2 + 3y ##
## x^2 - 5x = -y^2 + 3y \rightarrow x^2 - 5x = -1 \cdot (-3)^2 + 3 \cdot (-3) \rightarrow x^2 - 5x = -18 \rightarrow x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0 ##

Last edited:
aikismos said:
Unless I miscalculated, if ## y = -3 ## then ## x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0 ## which gives ## x ## the value ## {5 \pm i\sqrt{47}} \over {2} ##. Since reals and complexes cannot be compared, I would say D! (I think there's a mistake in the printing.)

Oh, wait, one could take the magnitude of both numbers!

aikismos said:
Since you have ## E_1 = E_2 = E_3 ##, you merely solve ## E_2 = E_3 ## first, and then substitute your value of ## y ## back into ## E_1 = E_2 ##.

## E_2 = E_3 : -y^2 + 3y = 9y + 9 ##
## -y^2 + 3y = 9y + 9 \rightarrow (y + 3)^2 = 0 \rightarrow y = -3 ##

## E_1 = E_2 : x^2 - 5x = -y^2 + 3y ##
## x^2 - 5x = -y^2 + 3y \rightarrow x^2 - 5x = -1 \cdot (-3)^2 + 3 \cdot (-3) \rightarrow x^2 - 5x = -18 \rightarrow x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0 ##
I don't think the intent was to find a simultaneous solution; i.e., a solution (x, y). My take is that the intent was merely to compare the solutions to the two equations, in which case answer A would be the correct response.

Mark44 said:
I don't think the intent was to find a simultaneous solution; i.e., a solution (x, y). My take is that the intent was merely to compare the solutions to the two equations, in which case answer A would be the correct response.

Sorry. Small screen display. I saw the problem wrong. :D

Related to Is Choice A Correct for Comparing GRE Math Quantities?

1. What is the purpose of solving GRE math questions with Quantity A vs B?

The purpose of solving GRE math questions with Quantity A vs B is to determine the relationship between two quantities and choose which one is greater or if they are equal.

2. How do I approach solving GRE math questions with Quantity A vs B?

The first step is to carefully read the question and identify the two quantities being compared. Then, use the given information and any necessary formulas or equations to solve for each quantity. Finally, compare the two quantities to determine which one is greater.

3. What are some common strategies for solving GRE math questions with Quantity A vs B?

Some common strategies include plugging in numbers, using estimation, and simplifying equations. It is also important to carefully read the answer choices and eliminate any that do not make sense in the context of the question.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve GRE math questions with Quantity A vs B?

Yes, a calculator can be used for most GRE math questions. However, it is important to make sure the calculator being used is allowed for the GRE and to use it efficiently and accurately.

5. How can I improve my performance on solving GRE math questions with Quantity A vs B?

Some tips for improving performance include practicing regularly, reviewing key concepts and formulas, and familiarizing yourself with different types of GRE math questions. It can also be helpful to work through practice questions and analyze any mistakes made.