Is C++ Still Relevant in Today's Corporate World?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter AlvisPrabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ even
In summary, C++ is still in use, despite the fact that there are more high level languages available. It is because it is a very fast, reliable, and powerful language.
AlvisPrabhu
Is c++ even used nowadays? I'm am currently learning it in school and I wonder if it's used in the corporate world.

Technology news on Phys.org
AlvisPrabhu said:
Is c++ even used nowadays? I'm am currently learning it in school and I wonder if it's used in the corporate world.
I'm surprised that you would doubt it.

Likes QuantumQuest and AlvisPrabhu
phinds said:
I'm surprised that you would doubt it.
Why is it still in use?

AlvisPrabhu said:
Why is it still in use?
I don't even know how to begin to answer that. Why would it NOT still be in use?

Likes AlvisPrabhu
phinds said:
I don't even know how to begin to answer that. Why would it NOT still be in use?
Because there are more higher level languages like Java, Python and etc.

AlvisPrabhu said:
In what sense do you think that Java, for example, is "more higher" than C++ ?

AlvisPrabhu said:
There are things you can access using C/++ that you can't in Java or Python.

I am not defending C++ (in fact, I do not like it), but its parent language ("C") is the only language to consider when writing device drivers. Of course, you could also do such programming in assembly language (and I have done so).

So. So-called high-level languages are high-level in the sense that looking out from the top of the Eiffel tower gives you a high-level view of Paris. But in order to have that high-level view somebody has to design the tower, and somebody has to build it (using simple parts).

Likes rbelli1, QuantumQuest, AlvisPrabhu and 2 others
Java and Python have some nice features that C++ does not have, but I don't think you could call them "higher level". They also have some disadvantages. I know some very good programmers who would prefer to use those languages whenever they can. They are usually significantly slower and the features that give them advantages are often the same features that are outlawed in some applications (such as self-modifying interpretive code) for security and safety reasons.

Last edited:
AlvisPrabhu said:

While it is usually easier to code something up in a language like Java or Python than in C or C++, there are many cases where the same code in C or C++ can be hundreds of times faster than in Java or Python. Even when you use Python, when you access a "number-crunching" feature like numpy, the real work is done by code written in C or C++.

Likes FactChecker, QuantumQuest and AlvisPrabhu
AlvisPrabhu said:

What operating system are you using on your computer? Just google to find what the role of C++ is, regarding system tools, toolchains and several utilities in it.
In the real world, C++ is used to develop compilers, system tools / utilities, is an integral part of many operating systems, is used for scripting database systems, is used to develop software for the web (web servers, web browsers as two examples), is used to develop simulators and other advanced software, is used to develop games, game engines and game development tools and the list goes on. In many of the previous cases there are other languages that are also used but C++ is prevalent because it is extremely fast, reliable and gives sufficient control of hardware.

AlvisPrabhu said:

I think that you mean that they are easier for us to use. While this is true in general it has the downside that the added software layers i.e what sums up to the easier for us logical abstraction, takes a lot of control from the hands of the programmer. The price is reduced execution speed compared to C++ and also no direct control in cases that is needed.

AlvisPrabhu said:

"higher level" does not imply better...

I agree with my colleagues, I consider C++ to be a better language, matter a fact, I wouldn't even consider you for a position if you didn't know C++ and given my requirements, if you knew Fortran also you'd at least be called in for a formal interview.

Related to Is C++ Still Relevant in Today's Corporate World?

1. Is C++ still relevant in today's technology industry?

Yes, C++ is still widely used in many industries, including technology, finance, and gaming. It is a powerful and versatile language that is used to develop a variety of applications and systems.

2. Are there any advantages to using C++ over other programming languages?

Yes, there are several advantages to using C++ over other programming languages. It is a high-performance language that allows for efficient memory management and low-level access to hardware. It also has a wide range of libraries and frameworks that can be used for different purposes.

3. Is C++ difficult to learn?

C++ can be challenging to learn, especially for beginners with no prior programming experience. It is a complex language with many advanced features. However, with dedication and practice, it can be a rewarding language to master.

4. Is C++ used in web development?

C++ is not commonly used in web development, as it is not well-suited for creating dynamic and interactive websites. However, it can be used for server-side programming and web development frameworks such as Wt and CppCMS.

5. Is C++ still a popular choice for game development?

Yes, C++ is still a popular choice for game development. Many game engines, such as Unreal Engine and Unity, use C++ as their primary programming language. It offers the speed and efficiency needed for developing high-performance games.