Is bumping allowed, when to bump

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for the heads-up. Turns out the necroposter was a Profile Spammer, so he is now history. That's pretty common for necroposts -- either a spammer trying to get their post count up randomly so that their later actual spam seems less obvious, or just a post to get their Profile or VM spam messages visible in the forums.
PainterGuy
hi everyone,:wink:

can you tell me please is bumping of a thread allowed here? when can i bump a thread? it has been two days since i posted a thread but got no reply till now. can i bump it? tell me please. many thanks.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
painterguy said:
hi everyone,:wink:

can you tell me please is bumping of a thread allowed here? when can i bump a thread? it has been two days since i posted a thread but got no reply till now. can i bump it? tell me please. many thanks.

cheers

In general, one bump after at least a day is okay. I don't see that in the Rules link, though, so we should probably add it in.

berkeman said:
In general, one bump after at least a day is okay. I don't see that in the Rules link, though, so we should probably add it in.

many thanks berkeman. yes, it is important to include it in general rules about postings.

cheers

berkeman said:

What about necroposting?

I know it's slightly different, but it's still technically a sort of bump.

We've debated necroposting in the Mentor forums in the past. I think the consensus is that if the necropost actually adds value to the thread, it should probably be left standing. It's really up to the discretion of the Mentor at this point.

I tend to be a bit stricter about necroposting in the forums that I Mentor. Very often, we get necropost thread hijacks by new users who found the thread with Google, and have a semi-related question. Those I ask to repost as a new thread.

berkeman said:
We've debated necroposting in the Mentor forums in the past. I think the consensus is that if the necropost actually adds value to the thread, it should probably be left standing. It's really up to the discretion of the Mentor at this point.

I tend to be a bit stricter about necroposting in the forums that I Mentor. Very often, we get necropost thread hijacks by new users who found the thread with Google, and have a semi-related question. Those I ask to repost as a new thread.

Sounds fair enough to me.

hi again,

this is little unrelated so forgive my asking here. does this physicsforums forum accept general donations? i was just wondering. tell me if u know.

cheers

painterguy said:
this is little unrelated so forgive my asking here. does this physicsforums forum accept general donations? i was just wondering. tell me if u know.

I'm sure greg would. But you might as well just increase the membership period with it.

thank you for the information. u are so quick at helping others. really impressed!:approve:

cheers

painterguy said:
thank you for the information. u are so quick at helping others. really impressed!:approve:

cheers

It's 1am, little else to do.

jarednjames said:
It's 1am, little else to do.

well then you can try to sleep!:-p it's good thing to do. or perhaps you find helping other more good than sleep. again impressed.:-p

cheers

berkeman said:
I tend to be a bit stricter about necroposting in the forums that I Mentor.

I've used old threads as a reference or additional information on some subjects that come up fairly often. Is that okay?

dlgoff said:
I've used old threads as a reference or additional information on some subjects that come up fairly often. Is that okay?

Yeah, that's totally fine, and a good use of the exisiting material.

What is necroposting, sounds painful?

Studiot said:
What is necroposting, sounds painful?

It can be painful...

It's when a poster adds a reply to a long-dormant thread. It can be really confusing for those who participated in the thread previously (it shows up in our "My PF" searches), and often there is no value in the late reply anyway.

One of the classic ones is when a poster says, "Hey, I have the exact same problem! What did you find <fill_in_user_name>?" And if you check the post history on the person they are addressing, they haven't been to the PF since the end of that old thread...:-p

jarednjames said:
Example: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4968&page=3

Thread died Jan 2004.

Post #45 is necro.

It's worthless and the OP of the thread was banned.

Thanks for the heads-up. Turns out the necroposter was a Profile Spammer, so he is now history. That's pretty common for necroposts -- either a spammer trying to get their post count up randomly so that their later actual spam seems less obvious, or just a post to get their Profile or VM spam messages visible in the forums.

Get astrology and Horoscope Predictions

berkeman said:
Thanks for the heads-up. Turns out the necroposter was a Profile Spammer, so he is now history. That's pretty common for necroposts -- either a spammer trying to get their post count up randomly so that their later actual spam seems less obvious, or just a post to get their Profile or VM spam messages visible in the forums.

Wow, didn't know they did that. They put more thought into this than I imagined.

Guess I'm too straight and square to understand how and why some folks do this stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Studiot said:
Guess I'm too straight and square to understand how and why some folks do this stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Well I've noted an increase in people posting links here (not just the one advert style, but a bunch). I believe it's something to do with Google's page rank system which looks for how many links there are to your site.

Obviously, the links also act as adverts too.

Yes, we're ranked pretty highly in Google in general, and links from here pass some PageRank value, so a lot of people try to get links from here just for that. That's one reason we delete inappropriate links; we don't want to boost the rankings of crackpot sites simply by linking to them.

Related to Is bumping allowed, when to bump

1. Is bumping allowed in scientific research?

It depends on the specific context and guidelines of the research institution or project. In some cases, bumping may be necessary to stimulate new ideas or generate discussion. However, it should always be done respectfully and with the goal of furthering the research.

2. When is it appropriate to bump a scientific study?

Bumping should only be done when necessary and when it can contribute to the progress of the research. It should not be used as a way to discredit or undermine other researchers' work.

3. What are the potential consequences of bumping in scientific research?

Bumping can potentially lead to conflicts and tensions among researchers, which can hinder collaboration and progress. It can also create a negative and competitive atmosphere within the scientific community.

4. How can I avoid bumping in scientific research?

As a scientist, it is important to communicate and collaborate effectively with other researchers. This can help prevent the need for bumping and foster a positive and productive research environment.

5. Are there any alternative methods to bumping in scientific research?

Yes, there are other ways to stimulate new ideas and discussions in scientific research, such as organizing workshops or conferences, conducting literature reviews, and seeking feedback from peers. These methods can promote collaboration and avoid potential conflicts that may arise from bumping.