Is building a particle accelerator legal ?

In summary, Michio Kaku built a 2.3-million-electron-volt particle accelerator in his parents' garage and was granted admission to Harvard University as a result. The legality of building and operating a particle accelerator depends on the materials and operation of the device, with potential restrictions from the equivalent of the FCC. However, people in the US have successfully built and operated smaller particle accelerators in their homes without facing legal trouble.
Monocerotis
Gold Member
So apparently Michio Kaku built a 2.3-million-electron-volt particle accelerator in his parents' garage; once Harvard University found out about this they granted him admission.

I'd like to go to Harvard.

So if I were to build a particle accelerator would I be breaking any laws, or is it all good in the hood ?

Note: I am Canadian.

Physics news on Phys.org
not knowing the exact intricacies of building a particle accelerator from scratch(I assume it involves this thing called money, which mean lots of queen Beth's) what I do know is that not many laws could be broken building it. Laws can be broken when operating it. small difference I know, but a big one. to my knowledge PA's mostly work by magnetics timed perfectly and built to high specifications. there is no real problem with this, just a FCC(Canadian equivalent) permit away. You will be put on the warning watch list when(if?) you buy a whole ton of liquid helium.

~socrunningman

That cathode-ray television you used to have or still have accelerated particles...you've always been using particle accelerators, so you could probably build one without legal trouble (but as socrunningman said, depending on what your materials are, you might run into some trouble buying them).

Not particularly. People in the US have built and operated fusion reactors in their own homes and even a particle accelerator can be small enough for tabletop (as the earliest ones were). I think that socrunningman is right, the operation of the device may be restricted in terms of the emissions. You may want to read up on the relevant laws from the equivalent of the FCC to make sure that you properly shield your device.

Related to Is building a particle accelerator legal ?

1. Is building a particle accelerator legal?

Yes, building a particle accelerator is legal in most countries. However, certain regulations and permits may be required before construction can begin.

2. Are there any potential risks associated with building a particle accelerator?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with building a particle accelerator, such as radiation exposure and the release of hazardous materials. These risks are carefully evaluated and managed during the construction process.

3. Who regulates the construction of particle accelerators?

The construction of particle accelerators is typically regulated by government agencies, such as the Department of Energy or the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, depending on the country in which it is being built.

4. What are the benefits of building a particle accelerator?

Particle accelerators have numerous benefits, including advancing scientific research, developing new technologies, and providing insights into fundamental particles and their interactions. They also have practical applications in fields such as medicine and energy production.

5. How long does it take to build a particle accelerator?

The time it takes to build a particle accelerator varies depending on the size and complexity of the project. It can take anywhere from a few years to over a decade to complete construction and begin operation.