Is "Broken Symmetry" truly foundational?

• Thread starter Eugene Ulrich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary: But the existence of symmetry breaking is a pretty strong indication that the four fundamental forces were caused by something breaking symmetry.
Eugene Ulrich
How certain can we be that the four fundamental forces as identified in modern cosmology, owe their existence to broken symmetry?

Likes Delta2
Space news on Phys.org
Eugene Ulrich said:
How certain can we be that the four fundamental forces as identified in modern cosmology, owe their existence to broken symmetry?

First, not all of the four fundamental forces are modeled using broken symmetry in our best current model; only the three Standard Model forces are. Gravity is not.

As far as I know, electroweak symmetry breaking is well established, particularly with the discovery of the Higgs boson at the LHC.

I don't think we have much data about strong interaction symmetry breaking, because we can't access the relevant energy regime experimentally. So the only data we have is indirect.

Likes Delta2
Thanks! I am trying to find some work I read years ago where it describes some mathematicians' (I recall John Von Neumann) deep fascination with the hypothetical perfect symmetry that existed just prior to the Big Bang and how exquisite it's properties are. Any place you can point me to for this?

Eugene Ulrich said:
Thanks! I am trying to find some work I read years ago where it describes some mathematicians' (I recall John Von Neumann) deep fascination with the hypothetical perfect symmetry that existed just prior to the Big Bang and how exquisite it's properties are. Any place you can point me to for this?
I’m skeptical about von Neumann. He died before modern theories of symmetry breaking an grand unification.

Eugene Ulrich said:
I think that the running idea at present is that it seems to be a reasonable conclusion that the standard model of particle physics (gravity not included, as PeterDonis stated) derives from a broken symmetry. It's not firmly-established by evidence, but it's basically the only way to make the standard model into a theory that makes any sense.

The standard model, as it stands, requires 19 different constants as input values (Wikipedia lists them here). There's nothing in the theory which sets these values. But they all seem to be constant numbers that are the same everywhere in the observable universe.

Usually when you've got a bunch of different parameters, it means that there's something more fundamental going on that reduces the parameters. In the most general sense these could be:
1) There are some physics which we don't currently understand which relates these parameters to one another. E.g., if parameter A takes value 2, then parameter B must take value 3. The standard model has these parameters independent, but maybe a more fundamental theory will tell us that we have fewer parameters to work with. In the ideal case, all 19 parameters simply had to take the specific values they take because of the way the more fundamental theory behaves.
2) There are some dynamics in the early universe which tend to explore a bunch of different values for these parameters. The parameters are "sticky" in that entire regions end up with the same values.

But in either event, going down either path requires discussions of symmetry breaking. These 19 parameters represent a lack of symmetry in the standard model. Any more fundamental theory which has fewer free parameters would, by definition, have more symmetry. Symmetry that is broken within the observable universe, and broken in such a way that these 19 parameters keep the same values throughout the observable universe.

The first option taken above can involve theories which explore different values of the 19 parameters in various ways, but the universe tends to evolve towards a specific state, e.g. the lowest-energy state. This direction of investigation is the least controversial of the two approaches, but so far has proven largely fruitless.

The second option tends more towards theories which tend to produce a lot of different observable universes with different values for the 19 parameters. These often lead to discussions of the anthropic principle. This approach is far more controversial, but may have already produced at least some limited successes. But it's really difficult to do it correctly, and, as I said, very controversial.

Either way, symmetry breaking is almost certainly a feature of our universe. The questions are all about the nature of the symmetry (what specific symmetry was broken), and how it was broken.

Last edited:

Related to Is "Broken Symmetry" truly foundational?

1. What is "Broken Symmetry" and why is it important in science?

"Broken Symmetry" is a phenomenon in which a system does not exhibit the same symmetry as its underlying laws. In science, symmetry is a fundamental concept that helps us understand the laws of nature and predict the behavior of physical systems. When symmetry is broken, it can lead to new discoveries and insights into the fundamental laws of the universe.

2. How does "Broken Symmetry" impact our understanding of the universe?

"Broken Symmetry" plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It helps us explain the fundamental forces and particles that make up our world, such as the weak and strong nuclear forces and the Higgs boson. It also allows us to understand the origins of the universe and the evolution of matter and energy.

3. Can you give an example of "Broken Symmetry" in nature?

One example of "Broken Symmetry" in nature is the phenomenon of spontaneous symmetry breaking in particles. This occurs when a particle's symmetry is broken due to interactions with other particles, resulting in the creation of new particles and the breaking of fundamental laws of symmetry.

4. How do scientists study "Broken Symmetry"?

Scientists study "Broken Symmetry" through a variety of methods, including theoretical models, experiments, and observations. They use mathematical equations and simulations to understand the behavior of systems with broken symmetry, and they also conduct experiments in particle accelerators and other scientific instruments to observe and test the effects of broken symmetry.

5. What are the potential applications of "Broken Symmetry" in technology?

The study of "Broken Symmetry" has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of superconductors and superfluids. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and materials science. By understanding and harnessing the effects of broken symmetry, scientists can create new technologies that could revolutionize our world.