Is Bragg's Law Equation Modified for Different Incidence Angles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Bragg's law in diffraction of light from a diffraction grating. The condition for an intensity maximum is given by d(sin θ + sin θ’ ) = mλ instead of the usual 2dsin θ= mλ. The conversation also clarifies the difference between diffraction of light and x-ray diffraction on a lattice.
helloween0908
problem: In Bragg's law equation, mormally, we measure the angle θ from the surface If instead the light strikes the grating at an angle of incident θ’ (measured from the normal), show that the condition for an intensity maximum is not 2dsin θ= mλ (m=1,2,3...)
but rather
d(sin θ + sin θ’ ) = mλ (m=0, ±1, ±2, ±3...)

No matter which way I tried, I finally ended up with 2dcosθ’ rather than d(sin θ + sin θ’ ) = mλ (m=0, ±1, ±2, ±3...).
Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "Bragg's law" usually you mean x-ray diffraction on a lattice.
Here it seems that you have something else: diffraction of light from a diffraction grating.
Or maybe a mix-up.
The formula with the sum of the two sines applies to the diffraction grating when the light hits it at an angle theta'.
There is a path difference between the incident rays hitting two different "holes" in the grating and this is given by d*sin(theta'). And then there is the path difference between the rays on the other side of the grating which is d*sin(theta).
I hope this helps.

Is this what you mean:
96831242139501.JPG

The Bragg's law becomes:
the length of the red+ blue lines = d(sin θ + sin θ’ ) = mλ

No. As I said, I was referring to an optical diffraction grating.
something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_grating
The math is similar though.

For x-ray diffraction from the crystal the maximum occurs when the two angles are equal.

oh, thanks.
The problem seems clear now :D

Related to Is Bragg's Law Equation Modified for Different Incidence Angles?

1. What is Bragg's Law modification?

Bragg's Law modification refers to the alteration or refinement of Bragg's Law, which is a fundamental principle in X-ray crystallography that relates the wavelength of X-rays to the spacing between crystal lattice planes. The modification of Bragg's Law typically involves incorporating additional factors or variables to account for more complex crystal structures or experimental conditions.

2. Why is Bragg's Law modification necessary?

Bragg's Law was initially developed for simple, regular crystal structures, but many real-life crystals are more complex and require modifications to the original law to accurately describe their diffraction patterns. These modifications are necessary to account for factors such as crystal defects, non-uniformities in the crystal lattice, and the effects of experimental parameters such as temperature and pressure.

3. How is Bragg's Law modified for non-uniform crystals?

In non-uniform crystals, Bragg's Law can be modified by incorporating a Debye-Waller factor, which accounts for the thermal motion of atoms within the crystal lattice. This factor adjusts the intensity of the diffraction peaks to account for the scattering caused by atomic vibrations.

4. Can Bragg's Law be modified for non-crystalline materials?

Yes, Bragg's Law can be modified for non-crystalline materials by using the partial structure factor approach. This method involves calculating the diffraction pattern of a hypothetical crystal structure that would produce a similar diffraction pattern to the non-crystalline material. The partial structure factor takes into account the short-range order of the non-crystalline material, allowing for the application of Bragg's Law.

5. What is the significance of Bragg's Law modification in scientific research?

Bragg's Law modification is important for accurately interpreting X-ray diffraction data in a wide range of scientific fields, including materials science, chemistry, and biology. By incorporating additional factors, scientists can gain a better understanding of the structure and properties of complex materials and molecules, leading to advancements in fields such as drug design, materials development, and nanotechnology.