Is beta decay a weak charge-current processes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of a paper and identifying charge-current and charge neutral processes in Figure 1. It is mentioned that weak processes are involved and pair production/annihilation does not count. The speaker emphasizes that a non-particle physicist might not understand this distinction.
charlesmartin14
Im try to understand this paper

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/vie...

and see if I correctly understand which processes are charge-current processes, and which are charge neutral, as listed in Figure 1. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Every process where charged particles appear or disappear is charged-current.

mfb said:
Every process where charged particles appear or disappear is charged-current.
##e^-e^+\to \gamma\gamma##

Likes vanhees71
... you know what I mean.
Weak processes only of course, and pair production/annihilation does not count.

mfb said:
... you know what I mean.
Weak processes only of course, and pair production/annihilation does not count.
Yes, I know what you mean. My point is that someone who is not a particle physicist might not.

Related to Is beta decay a weak charge-current processes?

What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay process in which an unstable atomic nucleus emits a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) in order to become more stable.

What is the weak charge-current process in beta decay?

The weak charge-current process in beta decay is the mechanism by which the decay occurs. It involves the conversion of a down quark into an up quark, or vice versa, within the nucleus. This conversion results in the emission of a beta particle and a corresponding change in the charge of the nucleus.

Why is beta decay considered a weak process?

Beta decay is considered a weak process because it is mediated by the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. This force is significantly weaker than the other forces, such as the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together.

How is beta decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

Beta decay is different from other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha decay and gamma decay, because it involves a change in the type of particle emitted from the nucleus. In alpha decay, an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) is emitted, while in gamma decay, a high-energy photon is emitted.

What are the practical applications of studying beta decay and the weak charge-current process?

The study of beta decay and the weak charge-current process has many practical applications, including nuclear energy production, medical imaging and treatment, and dating artifacts in archaeology. Understanding these processes also helps us to better understand the fundamental workings of the universe.