Is Bernoulli's Theorem an Expression of Energy Density in Fluids?

In summary, pressure and energy of ideal gas are p=NkT/V, E=3/2 NkT. So p=2/3 E/V. Why it is not E/V because pressure is energy per volume? How do I reconcile this ?
anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
As summarized.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the complete thermodynamic equation should be $$\left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_T = -P + T \left( \frac{\partial P}{\partial T} \right)_V$$i.e. ##P = - \frac{\partial U}{\partial V}## is a special case, not applicable here

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and anuttarasammyak
etotheipi said:
i.e. P=−∂U∂V is a special case, not applicable here
Thanks for your teaching.
Thermodynamics relation says
[tex]p=\frac{F-G}{V}\neq \frac{E}{V}[/tex]
p is volume density of ##F-G##. I feel it too abstract.

anuttarasammyak said:
Summary:: Pressure and energy of of ideal gas are p=NkT/V, E=3/2 NkT. So p=2/3 E/V. Why it is not E/V because pressure is energy per volume? How do I reconcile this ?

As summarized.
It only works out that way for the special case of an ideal monoatomic gas.

As @Chestermiller noted, the 2/3 term comes from a specific case. Ultimately, I think the important thing here is that 2/3 carries no units. The fact that pressure has units of energy per unit volume implies that
[tex]p\propto \dfrac{E}{V},[/tex]
but does not in any way require
[tex]p = \dfrac{E}{V}.[/tex]

Likes Chestermiller
Also, even in the ideal gas limit of low density, real gases do not have constant heat capacity down to absolute zero.

Thanks. I could confirm pressure is not internal energy density. Do we have a general interpretation what kind of energy density pressure has ?

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Thanks. I could confirm pressure is not internal energy density. Do we have a general interpretation what kind of energy density pressure has ?
Who says it can be interpreted that way?

I find in Wiki Energy Density
"In short, pressure is a measure of the enthalpy per unit volume of a system."
I do not catch it. Is it helpful to understand pressure as kind of energy density ?

The article says as for magnetic field, pressure and energy density coincide. It appears so in Maxwell stress tensor.

Last edited:
That's a bit strange since enthalpy density is related to energy density and pressure by ##h=u+P##.

Putting one of those equations above into plain words (my plain words, if you want to shoot them down, go ahead); a static force may be described as having an incipient potential to do work, subject to it bearing on a linear displacement, and therefore a force per unit area for a given incipient displacement is the same as an energy for a given incipient change of volume.

(that is, the 'incipient energy change' is the force x 'incipient displacement')

[For example, a force of 100kN bearing on a m^2 area, per meter of displacement that force applies, it does work at the rate of 100kJ, i.e. the same work density as 100kJ/m^3.]

This only covers the first component of the thermodynamic equation above, however, it does not describe the nature of the work done to form the pressure. It is only a partial description covering the work the pressure can do.

Re: #3 and #10, can we say
[tex]p=\frac{H-E}{V}=\frac{G-F}{V}[/tex]
pressure as difference of the two free energy density?

For an example may I interpret that RHS constant of Bernouill's theorem
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 + \rho g h + p = const.[/tex]
has dimension of energy density but the value is enthalpy density (minus constant internal energy for incompressible fluids and plus kinetic and potential energy density ) ?

Last edited:

Related to Is Bernoulli's Theorem an Expression of Energy Density in Fluids?

1. What is pressure as energy per volume?

Pressure as energy per volume is a measure of the force exerted by a substance on a unit area. It is calculated by dividing the amount of energy by the volume of the substance.

2. How is pressure as energy per volume measured?

Pressure as energy per volume is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which can be a manometer or a pressure sensor. These devices measure the force exerted by a substance on a unit area and convert it into a numerical value.

3. What are the units of pressure as energy per volume?

The units of pressure as energy per volume can vary depending on the system of measurement being used. In the SI system, the unit is pascals (Pa), while in the imperial system, it is pounds per square inch (psi). Other common units include atmospheres (atm) and bars (bar).

4. How does pressure as energy per volume affect objects?

Pressure as energy per volume can have various effects on objects depending on the magnitude of the pressure. High pressure can compress or deform objects, while low pressure can cause them to expand. Extreme pressure can also cause objects to rupture or break.

5. What are some practical applications of pressure as energy per volume?

Pressure as energy per volume has many practical applications in various fields, including engineering, chemistry, and meteorology. It is used in designing and testing structures, determining the properties of gases, and predicting weather patterns. It is also essential in hydraulic systems, where pressure is used to transfer energy and power machines.