Is BEM a More Efficient Alternative to FEA in Computational Science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between the Boundary Element Method (BEM) and the Finite Element Method (FEM) in terms of computational time and their applications in handling complex shapes and fields. BEM is described as being more efficient in terms of time because it only requires discretization of boundaries rather than the entire body. However, FEM is more widespread and can handle more complex problems. The conversation also mentions BEM's limitations in handling only simple isotropic fields. The speaker also wonders if learning BEM would be beneficial for learning Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
ramzerimar
Hello! I'm starting a project with one of my professors at college whose subject is the Boundary Element Method. I've studied a little bit of Finite Element Method, but BEM is new to me. This project will envolve a lot of programming in Python and Matlab.

I would like to know how does BEM compares to FEA. My professor said that BEM takes less computational time because you only have to discretize the boundaries of your problem, and not the whole body (that's what I understood). But looks like BEM is way less widespread than FEA, for example. Ultimately, I would like to learn CFD, and I wonder if learning BEM now would be a good step towards this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
In the days of slow computers …
BEM can only handle simple isotropic fields. Think black line art.

Now that we have faster numerical processors with much greater storage ...
FEM can handle problems with very complex shapes and fields. Think colour pictures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_element_method#Comparison_to_other_methods

Well, but probably BEM still has advantage on some fields, right? My professor's research in university is pretty much focused only on BEM.

Related to Is BEM a More Efficient Alternative to FEA in Computational Science?

1. What is the Boundary Element Method?

The Boundary Element Method (BEM) is a numerical technique used to solve engineering and scientific problems involving boundary value problems. It is based on the fundamental solution of the governing equation and allows for the discretization of only the boundaries of the problem, resulting in a significant reduction in computational cost compared to other numerical methods.

2. How does the Boundary Element Method differ from the Finite Element Method?

The main difference between the Boundary Element Method and the Finite Element Method is the way in which the domain is discretized. In BEM, only the boundaries of the problem are discretized, while in FEM, the entire domain is divided into smaller elements. This results in a lower number of unknowns and a more efficient solution process in BEM.

3. What are the advantages of using the Boundary Element Method?

The Boundary Element Method has several advantages, including the ability to accurately model problems with complex geometries, the reduction in computational cost due to the discretization of only boundaries, and the ability to handle problems with infinite domains or unbounded domains.

4. What are the limitations of the Boundary Element Method?

The main limitation of the Boundary Element Method is that it is only applicable to linear problems. It also requires the solution of an integral equation, which can be challenging for problems with complex geometries. Additionally, BEM is not suitable for problems with moving boundaries or problems involving transient phenomena.

5. What are some common applications of the Boundary Element Method?

The Boundary Element Method has been successfully used in a variety of engineering and scientific applications, including heat transfer, fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, acoustics, and structural analysis. Some specific examples include the calculation of heat transfer in buildings, the design of acoustic barriers for noise control, and the prediction of aerodynamic forces on aircraft and vehicles.