Is AP Physics like College Physics?

In summary, a physics major is not like high school physics, and can be more difficult. It's important to see how you will adapt to the new material.
john562
I'm a senior currently taking AP Physics C: Mechanics and really like the class, and am thinking about majoring in it in college. However, I know that college math is nothing like high school math. Is college physics similar to AP Physics C?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your teacher in high school and your professor in college. Generally they are more or less the same.

fss said:
Depends on your teacher in high school and your professor in college. Generally they are more or less the same.

This is probably good overall advice but I'll make a caveat. Generally, the AP physics C classes seem to be comparable to normal calculus based physics at the university. However, there can be a significant increase in difficulty when compared to an "honors" track designed for prospective physics majors.

As far as majoring in physics go, luckily for you you do not have to decide for a couple of years! It's probably disingenuous to say that a physics major is like high school physics, as things will simultaneously get a lot more difficult and interesting as you progress through the major. I could talk this point to death more but really the only thing to say is: If you're enjoying the class, start taking physics and math classes when you get to university and see how it fits. That's the only way you'll know!

I took both and they are about the same except at the uni you do everything in 10 weeks as opposed to 10 months like in high school. If you take the test and pass you can ditch the first phys class at the university, or go on to take the honors one (which is not required but recommended).

Also you must note that "physics" isn't really about mechanics as you study in your high school class. You take mechanics first quarter, then perhaps take another advanced mechanics class (covering Lagrangian mechanics, etc) 3rd or 4th year and that's it. Most of physics is on electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, statistical physics, waves/optics, etc.

So the question is not whether you "like AP physics", the important issue is how you will adapt to the new material. If you are a savage beast in this class now, I wouldn't worry. I am pretty dumb and was still able to go through any phys topic, its a matter of interest.

As a scientist with experience in both AP Physics and college physics, I can say that while there are similarities between the two, there are also significant differences. In AP Physics, the focus is on developing a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics, while also preparing for the AP exam. College physics, on the other hand, tends to be more rigorous and in-depth, delving into more advanced topics and requiring a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

One key difference between AP Physics and college physics is the level of mathematical proficiency required. In AP Physics, students are expected to have a strong understanding of algebra and basic calculus, while in college physics, students will need to have a solid grasp of more advanced mathematical techniques, such as vector calculus and differential equations. This can be a challenging transition for some students, but it is also an opportunity to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in the field of physics.

Another difference is the level of independence and self-motivation required in college physics. While AP Physics classes are typically structured with set assignments and deadlines, college physics courses often require students to take more initiative in their learning, with less guidance from the instructor. This can be a challenging adjustment for some students, but it also allows for a deeper exploration of topics and the opportunity to engage in more independent research projects.

In summary, while AP Physics provides a strong foundation for college-level physics, the two are not exactly alike. College physics tends to be more rigorous and require a higher level of mathematical proficiency and independent learning. However, if you enjoy AP Physics and are considering majoring in it in college, I encourage you to continue pursuing your interest and be prepared for the challenges and rewards of studying physics at the college level.

Related to Is AP Physics like College Physics?

1. Is AP Physics the same as College Physics?

No, AP Physics is not the same as College Physics. While both courses cover similar topics in physics, they differ in their depth and rigor. AP Physics is designed to be a high school level course, while College Physics is a course typically taken at the college level.

2. Do I need to take AP Physics to succeed in College Physics?

No, taking AP Physics is not a prerequisite for success in College Physics. While AP Physics may provide a strong foundation in physics concepts, each college or university may have different requirements or expectations for their physics courses.

3. Are the exams in AP Physics and College Physics similar?

No, the exams in AP Physics and College Physics are not similar. AP Physics exams are designed by the College Board and are taken by high school students to earn college credit. College Physics exams are designed by the individual college or university and may cover different topics and have different testing formats.

4. Will AP Physics prepare me for College Physics?

Yes, AP Physics can provide a strong foundation for success in College Physics. However, it is important to keep in mind that each college or university may have different expectations and requirements for their physics courses, so it is important to consult with your academic advisor or the physics department at your chosen college.

5. Is AP Physics more difficult than College Physics?

This can vary depending on the individual and their strengths and weaknesses in physics. Generally, AP Physics is designed to be a challenging course for high school students, while College Physics is designed for college-level students. However, the difficulty level can also depend on the specific curriculum and expectations of each course.