Is anyone investigating about High Energy Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of high energy particles and how to gain an introduction to the field. The speaker suggests that talking to someone actively working in the field may not be the most efficient way to gain an introduction and recommends looking into undergraduate textbooks and lectures instead. They also mention that the work of high energy physicists can vary greatly and may involve a lot of time spent on computers. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for more information on why the listener is interested in the field.
torstein
Hey, what's up?

I'm wondering if anyone in this sub-forum actually works on High Energy particles. I want to know if you can introduce me on this matter (yes I know I can read Wikipedia and a ton of book but I want to have the word of a expert in this matter). I'd be glad if you can tell me what do you do and the other matters that you don't work on, what is (essentially) High energy particles and whatever that could open my world in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF;
I'm wondering if anyone in this sub-forum actually works on High Energy particles.
I believe there are a few - I used to, very briefly.
I didn't think you'd get a reply but forbare to say anything just in case you did.
Since nobody did, I'll have a go helping you to get a better result next time...

I want to know if you can introduce me on this matter (yes I know I can read Wikipedia and a ton of book but I want to have the word of a expert in this matter).
Talking to someone active in research in the field is not a good way to get an intro into the field.

Certainly such a person can introduce you to their field but why would they want to when there are so many better ways that don't require effort from them.
Please understand that you are talking about very busy people who typically command quite high sums for their time: and you hope one or more will to talk to you for free?!

The best approach is to pick an undergraduate (college) textbook - maybe look at the lectures online.
People working in research, who also teach, wrote those books and gave the lecture series - this is how such experts go about introducing people to their field.
You see, it is a very efficient use of their limited time. Talking 1-1 is not.

What is more likely to get a 1-1 response is if you go through a lecture or something and get stuck and ask for help. That's what most people here do: hep people who are stuck with something. They do this because it helps them too. They do it in public because the recorded help for one person could help many others too: without additional work. That's efficient use of time and a return on investment. See what I mean?

It also means that you'll get more the advise you need, which is not always the answer you seek

I'd be glad if you can tell me what do you do and the other matters that you don't work on, what is (essentially) High energy particles and whatever that could open my world in this matter.
In my day the intro to that subject was called "Beam times and lag times" (or something, cannot find it today) and was a socialogical invesitgation into what high energy physicists actually do in their work and, to some extent, off-work. There's probably something similar around more recent.

What individual scientists do depends on where they are ... i.e. University of Illinois (chosen at random) works somewhat differently to CERN. What they do outside their field also varies widely - though most seem to play a musical instrument... on-subject they spend a lot of time on computers. I recall CERN was about 2 weeks waiting, then a frantic 20hours in a concrete bunker not getting any sleep trying to figure out what went wrong with the detector array this time. From the outside it looks dull and a bit weird.

It will help if you explain why you want to know.
If you just want to see if you are interested in the field before starting study - then you are probably best to canvass University web sites and biographies of modern HEP scientists.

Please understand that there is no royal road to science.
People will help you on your journey, but you have to actually set foot on that journey yourself to get that help.

Likes mfb

Related to Is anyone investigating about High Energy Physics?

1. What is High Energy Physics?

High Energy Physics, also known as particle physics, is the branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It involves the use of powerful particle accelerators to create and study particles at extremely high energies.

2. Why is High Energy Physics important?

High Energy Physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe. By studying the behavior of particles at high energies, scientists can gain insights into the building blocks of matter and how they interact.

3. Is anyone currently investigating High Energy Physics?

Yes, there are numerous research institutions and universities around the world that are actively conducting research in High Energy Physics. This includes experiments at large particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

4. What are some current areas of research in High Energy Physics?

Some current areas of research in High Energy Physics include the search for new particles, such as the elusive Higgs boson, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of the origins of the universe through the study of the Big Bang.

5. How does High Energy Physics impact our daily lives?

While High Energy Physics may seem abstract and far removed from our daily lives, it actually has many practical applications. For example, the development of particle accelerators has led to advancements in medical imaging and cancer treatment. High Energy Physics also contributes to the development of new technologies and materials.