Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Is anyone else having issues reading my posts?

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
One of staff has PMed me regarding an issue with being able to read my posts. I'm not certain what the issue really is, but I believe it may have to do with my avatar size, which is larger than most. It may also have to do with the arcade trophy to the right of my avatar.

If anyone who is having this issue could provide a screen shot, I would really like to get to the bottom of this and correct it as soon as possible.

Thanks, and best regards,

Mark.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
In order to clarify the problem I have any time I try to read a post of MarkFl the following image, thought not 'high quality', is adequate...

MHB image.jpeg

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
I haven't had any problems.

-Dan

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
One of staff has PMed me regarding an issue with being able to read my posts. I'm not certain what the issue really is, but I believe it may have to do with my avatar size, which is larger than most. It may also have to do with the arcade trophy to the right of my avatar.

If anyone who is having this issue could provide a screen shot, I would really like to get to the bottom of this and correct it as soon as possible.

Thanks, and best regards,

Mark.
No. For me they look perfectly fine. :)

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I honestly don't know what could be causing this, or why it is only my posts that this happens to.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be more than willing to try changing something to fix this.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
In order to clarify the problem I have any time I try to read a post of MarkFl the following image, thought not 'high quality', is adequate...

View attachment 552

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Is the problem the same in all browsers? How about different web page sizes? That is, try Ctrl/+ and Ctrl/- and see if it changes at all.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Is the problem the same in all browsers? How about different web page sizes? That is, try Ctrl/+ and Ctrl/- and see if it changes at all.
Operating with Ctrl+ or Ctrl- doesn't solve the problem... I confirm that the problem happens only with the posts of MarkFl and I have no idea of the reasons of it...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Problem is solved!!!... thank You very much MarkFl!!!...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hmm...So it is the trophies that are messing up your display...I know there was recent talk about moving them below the avatar as suggested by Sudharaka.

Perhaps we could convince one of our hard working and dedicated admins to change the position of the arcade trophies, if we ask real nicely! (Smirk)

edit: I have posted a request here.

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Operating with Ctrl+ or Ctrl- doesn't solve the problem... I confirm that the problem happens only with the posts of MarkFl and I have no idea of the reasons of it...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Hi chisigma :) Can you please tell us what browser and operating system you are using when this error occurs? We can move the location of the trophies but that's not guaranteed to work and it's kind of a fake solution to the problem. I'd like to figure out what's going on in case it might be happening to other parts of the site for other people and we'd never know.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Hi Jameson!:)... my 'personal PC' uses XP operating system and Explorer, Chrome and Mozzilla browsers... my wife has a lot of 'more performant PC' operanting with Window7 and McIntosh but I'm not 'well in tune' with them(Thinking)... for MHB I use systematically Explorer but now that the problem is solved I'm not able to say if it was depending from the browser or not...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thank you for the reply, chisigma!

Have you noticed the same errors on the same pages on all your computers and browsers? You have 2 computers, 2 operating systems and 3 browsers to choose from so this can give us a good idea of where the problem lies. So first I would see if the problem is specific to something. Can you do this please?

We've had reported template issues with a computer that uses Windows XP so that wouldn't surprise me if XP doesn't like something about vB 4's coding.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Hi Jameson!... actually I am in Slovenia and my wife in Trieste [Trst] so that pratically I have only one available computer with XP operating system... I did hope that the issue has been solved but one our ago I open the following thread...

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f13/logarithm-3159/#post13920

... and discovered that the issue is still actual when I work with Explorer... all is OK if I work with Chrome or Mozzilla...

... very sorry!...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi again chisigma, :)

Either the source code has an error in it that isn't being corrected by your browser or your browser isn't able to interpret something in the code properly. The error looks to be related to not properly defining table sizes in a post but it's hard to say since so many things are out of place in the picture you are showing us.

I've been testing the page you mentioned in your last post with a tool called Adobe BrowserLab and some other ones like it. They let you open up a page through IE 8.0 or Chrome or Firefox, so you can test that a site is compatible with all browsers.

1) What version of IE are you using? 7, 8, 9?

2) Can you load that page again in Internet Explorer? We want the error to happen in order to see what's going on.

3) After loading the page and seeing the error you've described, can you find the source code for that page? If you can, please copy it and you can email it to me to look at.

4) Can you take a higher quality picture of the problem? I believe on Windows XP you need to find a "Print Screen" key to take a picture of the screen at that moment. Then you can paste that into Microsoft Paint and select the part that you wish to share. If you are able to take a very clear picture I can also ask our web hosting company if this seems like something they have seen before.

This is going to be a long and slow process I'm afraid but I'm very interested in trying to fix the problem. I wish there was an easier answer but we first need to clearly identify the problem.

jza

Oct 23, 2012
... and discovered that the issue is still actual when I work with Explorer... all is OK if I work with Chrome or Mozzilla...
Would you by any chance be using IE6? (Menubar -> Help -> About)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Would you by any chance be using IE6? (Menubar -> Help -> About)
I think IE6 is a terrible thing to browse MHB. I sure hope nobody uses it nowadays. Since I use Firefox(18.0.1) I never upgraded IE. Herewith I have attached a screenshot of what MHB looks like in IE6.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I think IE6 is a terrible thing to browse MHB. I sure hope nobody uses it nowadays. Since I use Firefox(18.0.1) I never upgraded IE. Herewith I have attached a screenshot of what MHB looks like in IE6.

Wow. That's pretty... awful.