Is an engineering minor worth it?

In summary, the speaker is currently majoring in biostatistics and physics with a concentration in biophysics. They are considering adding a minor in biomedical engineering due to the overlap between the two majors. However, they are unsure if it will benefit them in their goal to go into medical physics and potentially pursue an MPH. The other person in the conversation advises against getting a minor and suggests focusing on practical skills and taking classes that interest them instead. They believe that minors are not very valuable.
riar95
Hi! I'm currently majoring in biostatistics and physics (biophysics concentration). Because there is significant overlap between the biophysics and biomedical engineering majors, if I take a few extra classes, I'd get a biomedical engineering minor. I'm looking to go into medical physics and maybe getting my mph, but even though it would actually be really easy to get a bme minor, I'm not sure if it would help me in any way? Should I do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have honestly never heard of someone having an engineering minor.

Will the earning of that minor mean that you know how to DO more things than you would without the minor? Other than just your courses for the major field of your choice, try to learn courses that will help you be able to DO MORE THINGS, like practical things, practical skills.

Generally, minors are worth slightly less than the paper they're printed on.

don't bother with a minor, just take classes that interest you. a minor is simply electrives focused on one area. You can do that same thing in any area you want

Related to Is an engineering minor worth it?

1. Is an engineering minor beneficial for my career?

Yes, an engineering minor can be a valuable addition to your resume and can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs in various industries. It shows that you have a diverse skill set and can apply engineering principles to problem-solving.

2. How will an engineering minor complement my major?

An engineering minor can complement a wide range of majors, as it provides a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills. It can also help you understand the engineering principles behind your major and how they can be applied in real-world situations.

3. Will an engineering minor require me to take extra classes?

Yes, an engineering minor will require you to take additional classes. However, the number of classes may vary depending on your major and the specific requirements of the engineering minor program at your university.

4. Can I pursue an engineering minor if I have no previous engineering experience?

Yes, you can pursue an engineering minor even if you have no previous experience in the field. The minor program is designed to provide students with a basic understanding of engineering principles and does not require any prior knowledge or experience.

5. Will an engineering minor be useful if I am not planning to work in the engineering industry?

Yes, an engineering minor can still be beneficial even if you are not planning to work in the engineering industry. The skills and knowledge gained from an engineering minor, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, can be applied to various fields and can make you a more well-rounded professional.