Is All Change in Physics Attributable to Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of force in change and whether the laws of physics are a product of the continuity of space-time. It is concluded that continuous change only requires the continuity of space-time, while any deviation from continuity requires force. Therefore, the physical laws can be seen as a result of the continuity of space-time, and any changes in the continuum would result in changes in the laws of physics.
runner108
I'm doing some independent research and thinking mainly in psychology as such I don't have much of a physics background so I want to make sure the arguments I make that pertain to physics valid.

It's a fairly common lay person assumption that all 'change' is due to force. I orginally wanted to make this argument too but in teaching myself a few things I realized this is not so cut and dry. When one considers it fairly basically we see that motion can be forceless (consider two objects floating by each other in space). In this example, however, both objects can be said to be inertial observers. So we see then that all change (for an object) either takes place in an inertial or an accelerated frame of reference. A particle that is in an inertial path is moving in a straight line on its wordline whereas a particle under acceleration has a curved worldline (as far as I've been lead to understand).

So to say that force has a role in change makes sense but only so far as it is required to deviate a particle from its straight worldline. What is it then that moves a particle in a straight line on its worldline? It seems that movement here would be a product of momentum and momentum conservation is a result of shift symmetry which is a result of space-time continuity.

Therefore can I make an argument that 'continuous change' only requires continuity of space-time but to deviate from continuity requires force (in my own nomenclature rather than the official definitions of the things)

Physics news on Phys.org
or is there something I'm missing here? If this is valid, how much of a stretch would it be to say that the physical laws are then a product of the continuity of space-time? The argument you make is valid. It is true that continuous change only requires the continuity of space-time, and any deviation from continuity requires force. This means that the physical laws are indeed a product of the continuity of space-time. As such, if the space-time continuum were to change, the laws of physics would also change accordingly.

In response to your research and thinking in psychology and your aim to ensure the validity of your arguments pertaining to physics, I would like to offer some insights on the concepts of continuity, force, and change.

Firstly, it is important to understand that continuity and force are not mutually exclusive concepts. Continuity refers to the uninterrupted and smooth flow of something, while force is a physical influence that causes a change in motion or shape of an object. In physics, continuity is often associated with the concept of inertia, which states that an object will continue in its state of rest or motion unless acted upon by an external force.

It is true that in some cases, change can occur without the presence of a force, such as the example you mentioned of two objects floating by each other in space. However, it is important to note that in this scenario, the objects are in a state of inertia and are not undergoing any change in motion. It is only when an external force is applied to one of the objects that a change in motion occurs.

Furthermore, it is incorrect to say that all change requires a deviation from continuity. In fact, in many cases, change occurs within a continuous system. For example, in the case of a pendulum swinging back and forth, the motion is continuous and does not require a deviation from continuity. The change in motion is caused by the force of gravity acting on the pendulum.

In terms of your argument that continuous change only requires continuity of space-time, it is important to note that continuity in space-time is not the only factor that determines change. Other factors such as mass, velocity, and external forces also play a role in determining the change in motion of an object.

In conclusion, while it is true that force is not always required for change to occur, it is an essential factor in many cases. Continuity and force are both important concepts in understanding change, and it is important to consider both in any argument pertaining to physics.

Related to Is All Change in Physics Attributable to Force?

1. What is continuity in science?

Continuity in science refers to the idea that processes and phenomena exist and operate continuously, without sudden interruptions or breaks. This concept is important in understanding how natural systems function and change over time.

2. How does continuity relate to change?

Continuity and change are closely connected in science. Continuity allows for gradual changes to occur over time, while sudden interruptions or breaks in continuity can result in significant changes or disruptions to natural systems.

3. What are some examples of continuity and change in science?

Examples of continuity and change in science can be seen in various natural processes, such as the gradual erosion of landforms by wind and water, the slow evolution of species over time, and the gradual changes in climate patterns.

4. How do scientists study continuity and change?

Scientists study continuity and change through various methods, including observation, experimentation, and modeling. By collecting data and analyzing patterns over time, scientists can better understand how natural systems operate and change.

5. Why is understanding continuity and change important in science?

Understanding continuity and change is essential in science because it allows us to make predictions about how natural systems may behave and evolve in the future. It also helps us to identify potential disruptions or changes that may have significant impacts on the environment and human society.