Is Acceleration Quantization Valid in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, QM and CM can be connected using the famous "canonical quantization rules" iff the CM is presented in the Hamiltonian formulation in which there's no such thing as "generalized accelerations", since the fundamental variables are the generalized coordinates and velocities. However, in the Heisenberg picture one can define the velocity and acceleration operators by\hat{\vec{v}} :=\frac{d\hat{\vec{r}}}{dt} and \hat{\vec{a}} :=\frac{d\hat{\vec{p}}}{dt} Their expressions can be found using the Heisenberg equations of motion which are known to be equivalent to the
Sangoku
acceleration quantization ??

If [tex] x \Psi (x,t)=x \Psi(x,t) [/tex]

and [tex] p \Psi (x,t)= -i\hbar \partial _{x} \Psi (x,t) [/tex]

then should it be [tex] a \Psi (x,t) = \dot p \Psi (x,t)= \hbar ^{2} \partial _{xt} \Psi (x,t) [/tex] using usual QM

So, the direct quantization of motion equation (constraint) should it read:

[tex] \hbar^{2} \partial _{xt} \Psi (x,t)+ \frac{dV}{dx}\Psi(x,t)=0 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the main idea is that QM and CM can be connected using the famous "canonical quantization rules" iff the CM is presented in the Hamiltonian formulation in which there's no such thing as "generalized accelerations", since the fundamental variables are the generalized coordinates and velocities.

However, in the Heisenberg picture one can define the velocity and acceleration operators by

[tex]\hat{\vec{v}} :=\frac{d\hat{\vec{r}}}{dt} [/tex]

and

[tex] \hat{\vec{a}} :=\frac{d\hat{\vec{p}}}{dt} [/tex]

Their expressions can be found using the Heisenberg equations of motion which are known to be equivalent to the SE. But i don't see a way to represent [itex] \hat{\vec{a}} [/itex] as an operator on the [itex]L^{2}\left(\mathbb{R}^{3}, d^{3}x, \mathbb{C}\right) [/itex].

I don't think, if, let's say, it would be possible to represent it, it would have a mixed derivative in it. No reason, just a hunch.

Sangoku said:
If [tex] x \Psi (x,t)=x \Psi(x,t) [/tex]

and [tex] p \Psi (x,t)= -i\hbar \partial _{x} \Psi (x,t) [/tex]

then should it be [tex] a \Psi (x,t) = \dot p \Psi (x,t)= \hbar ^{2} \partial _{xt} \Psi (x,t) [/tex] using usual QM

So, the direct quantization of motion equation (constraint) should it read:

[tex] \hbar^{2} \partial _{xt} \Psi (x,t)+ \frac{dV}{dx}\Psi(x,t)=0 [/tex]
I would proceed in a different way. You should find out the hamiltonian and then apply the usual substitutions [itex]p \rightarrow -i \hbar \nabla[/itex] in order to formulate the Schroedinger equation. To calculate the hamiltonian I would start with a lagrangian:

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot x - a t)^2[/tex]

It is interesting that you will find out that, if you are free to choose the phase of the wavefunction, then the Schroedinger equation in an accelerated frame is equal to the Schroedinger equation in a uniform gravitational potential.

See this.

Last edited:

Related to Is Acceleration Quantization Valid in Quantum Mechanics?

What is acceleration quantization?

Acceleration quantization is a concept in physics that refers to the discrete or quantized nature of accelerations. This means that accelerations can only occur in certain fixed values rather than being continuous.

Why does acceleration quantization occur?

Acceleration quantization occurs due to the nature of the physical world and the limitations of our measurement tools. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is related to the discrete energy levels of particles.

How is acceleration quantization different from velocity quantization?

Acceleration quantization refers to the discrete values of changes in velocity, whereas velocity quantization refers to the discrete values of velocity itself. In other words, acceleration quantization is a measure of how quickly velocity is changing, while velocity quantization is a measure of the velocity itself.

What are the implications of acceleration quantization?

The implications of acceleration quantization are mainly found in the field of quantum mechanics, where it is a fundamental concept. It also has implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, as well as for the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.

Can acceleration quantization be observed in everyday life?

No, acceleration quantization is not typically observable in everyday life due to the macroscopic scale of objects and the limitations of our measurement tools. It is only observable at the atomic and subatomic level, where the effects of quantum mechanics are more apparent.