Is a tennis ball technically a composite or a polymer?

In summary: Although the keratin fibers are all different, they are all proteins. Thank you for the clarification.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

Under which class of materials would the following materials be categorized?
What are/is the primary bond type(s) in each material/object?

a. Tennis Ball

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We'll consider a very simple and standard tennis ball composed of a rubber material covered with felt.

Here is where I'm confused:

A composite material is any material that is made of two or more materials with significantly different properties.

Felt and rubber obviously have significantly different properties

However, rubber and felt are both polymers on their own

So I am having a hard time deciding whether a tennis ball can be classified as a composite or a polymer. Any ideas?

PS: Even the statement of "felt is a polymer" is confusing to me. Felt is a cloth made of woolen fibers. Woolen fibers are themselves protein fibres composed of more than 20 different amino acids.

Although the amino acids are polymers and protein fibers are polymers, is it correct to classify woolen fibers as polymers since they are composed of many different types?

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
Question is ambiguous, no wonder you have problems answering it. I would answer stating both rubber and felt parts are a separate polymers.

Even though the felt and rubber are both polymers, in terms of structural mechanics, they are considered separate materials, and a tennis ball is considered a composite. The cord/rubber plies of a radial tire are typically composites of rubber and steel cords. If the steel tire cords are replaced by Kevlar (polymeric) cords, the plies are still considered composites.

Isn't the felt put just outside? My understanding is that in composites properties of the final material are different from the properties of the components, here we have a rubber ball (that behaves like a rubber ball) covered with felt (that behaves like felt). It is no more composite than a painted steel is.

Borek said:
Isn't the felt put just outside? My understanding is that in composites properties of the final material are different from the properties of the components, here we have a rubber ball (that behaves like a rubber ball) covered with felt (that behaves like felt). It is no more composite than a painted steel is.
Maybe not exactly. It all depends on whether or not the felt has a non-negligible effect on the overall deformational response of the ball. I'm not sure whether the load-deformation behavior of a bald tennis ball is essentially the same as the load deformation behavior of a tennis ball with felt covering (and thus whether a bald tennis ball performs in play the same as a tennis ball covered with felt). My guess is that it doesn't. In the case of painted steel, the paint does have a negligible effect on the deformational response of the steel.

Chestermiller said:
I'm not sure whether the load-deformation behavior of a bald tennis ball is essentially the same as the load deformation behavior of a tennis ball with felt covering (and thus whether a bald tennis ball performs in play the same as a tennis ball covered with felt). My guess is that it doesn't.

Interesting point. I always thought the felt is there just to add friction, making it easier to spin the ball.

skyturnred said:
PS: Even the statement of "felt is a polymer" is confusing to me. Felt is a cloth made of woolen fibers. Woolen fibers are themselves protein fibres composed of more than 20 different amino acids.

Although the amino acids are polymers and protein fibers are polymers, is it correct to classify woolen fibers as polymers since they are composed of many different types?

Thank-you

Just a note about your PS... wool is made up of a class of protein fibers composed of 20 different amino acids.

The protein is a polymer of amino acids. Amino acids are the monomers that make up the protein. AND, if you are interested, the wool itself can be described as a composite since the hair shaft is itself composed of several different keratins that make up the cuticle, fibers and matrix.

Related to Is a tennis ball technically a composite or a polymer?

1. Is a tennis ball considered a composite material?

Yes, a tennis ball is considered a composite material because it is made up of multiple components, such as rubber, felt, and air. These components are combined to create a material with unique properties and characteristics.

2. What type of polymer is used in a tennis ball?

The polymer used in a tennis ball is typically a type of synthetic rubber, such as ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) or butadiene rubber. These polymers provide the necessary elasticity and durability for the ball.

3. How is a tennis ball made?

A tennis ball is made through a process called compression molding. First, rubber and other materials are mixed together and heated to form a soft, pliable material. This material is then placed into a mold and compressed into the desired shape. The outer felt layer is then added, and the ball is heated again to bond the layers together.

4. What properties make a tennis ball a suitable material for its intended use?

A tennis ball's properties, such as its elasticity, durability, and bounce, make it suitable for its intended use. These properties allow the ball to withstand the impact of being hit by a tennis racket and to bounce consistently on different surfaces.

5. Are there any environmental concerns related to the production and disposal of tennis balls?

There are some environmental concerns related to the production and disposal of tennis balls. The manufacturing process can release harmful chemicals into the environment, and the disposal of used tennis balls can contribute to landfill waste. However, some companies are now producing more eco-friendly tennis balls made from sustainable materials and offering recycling programs for used balls.