Is a Small AC Generator Suitable for Running Electronics?

In summary, your small generator may not be suitable for running electronics, and may also not be strong enough to run larger appliances. You may be able to fix the issue by purchasing a new set of batteries for your old UPS.
gamefreak123
Hi all,
The country where I live, electricity outages are a part of life, so to compensate for it I have a small 2.2kW 220V AC generator in my house. The problem with it is that I've heard and found out for myself that its output is unfit for running electronics.

Testing with a voltmeter, the output is a consistent 220V, however, whenever I turn on my PC on it the power supply makes a weird buzzing noise. Also, I have a UPS w/ surge protector that doesn't even go on charge mode when plugged in with the generator on i.e. it doesn't consider the output suitable enough. Many laptop repairers and computer technicians have also warned me not to charge laptops from small, single phase generators.

So anyone have any idea what the problem might be, and more importantly any inexpensive way to get around it?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there "Gamefreak123"!
Your computer power supply wants a pure sine wave, and what it is probably getting is full of harmonics.

What model is your present generator, please?

Unfortunately, higher harmonics in the mains supplied to the computer can cause glitches in the operation of the machine, and can also cause power supply failure.
I have seen "true sine wave" converters, which produce nice clean mains power from 12V batteries.
Such converters are cheaper this year than they were last year. This link might help: http://www.powerstream.com/in15t.htm

*cough* some cheap Chinese one whose producer doesn't even have a website :D

Yeah you're probably right. I was hoping that there would be some magical device which could fine tune the generator's output and make it suitable, but I guess there isn't any. In that case, should I just buy a pair of fresh batteries for my old UPS? Its an http://www.ablerex.com.sg/downloads/products/tearsheet1000.pdf" a decent brand I think. You think its output would be good enough? It is pretty old.

Last edited by a moderator:
gamefreak123 said:
*cough* some cheap Chinese one whose producer doesn't even have a website :D

Yeah you're probably right. I was hoping that there would be some magical device which could fine tune the generator's output and make it suitable, but I guess there isn't any. In that case, should I just buy a pair of fresh batteries for my old UPS? Its an http://www.ablerex.com.sg/downloads/products/tearsheet1000.pdf" a decent brand I think. You think its output would be good enough? It is pretty old.

It's probably OK.
Although I cringe every time I see people use batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed Honda has been producing small generators with inverter outputs. These have excellent output characteristics, but would probably be too wimpy for larger appliances.

Related to Is a Small AC Generator Suitable for Running Electronics?

1. What is the main issue with small AC generators?

The main issue with small AC generators is that they can be unreliable and prone to breakdowns. This is due to their smaller size and lower power output compared to larger generators, making them less durable and more susceptible to wear and tear.

2. How do I troubleshoot problems with my small AC generator?

The first step in troubleshooting problems with a small AC generator is to check the fuel level and make sure it is clean. Next, check the spark plug and air filter for any damage or clogs. You should also inspect the wiring and connections for any loose or corroded parts. If these checks do not solve the issue, it may be best to consult a professional.

3. Can I use a small AC generator to power my entire home?

No, small AC generators are not powerful enough to supply electricity to an entire home. They are designed for small-scale use, such as powering tools and appliances during outdoor activities or providing backup power for a few essential household items.

4. How often should I perform maintenance on my small AC generator?

It is recommended to perform maintenance on your small AC generator at least once a year or after every 100 hours of use. This includes changing the oil, replacing the air filter and spark plug, and checking the fuel and connections for any issues.

5. Can I run my small AC generator indoors?

No, it is not safe to run a small AC generator indoors as it produces carbon monoxide, which can be lethal if inhaled in a confined space. Always use the generator outdoors in a well-ventilated area, away from any open windows or doors.