Is a Rotated Frame a Canonical Transformation in Classical Mechanics?

Likewise for [x,px] I get:cos^2 \theta - 2 sin \theta cos \theta + sin^2 \thetaNo, [\bar{x},\bar{p}_x]=[\bar{q}_1,\bar{p}_1]=\sum_{i=1,2} \frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial q_i} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_1}{\partial p_i} - \frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial p_i} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_1}{\partial q_i}=\left(\frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{
roeb

Homework Statement

Verify that the change to a rotated frame is a canonical transformation:

[tex]\bar{x} = x cos\theta - y sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]\bar{y} = x sin \theta + y cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]\bar{p_x} = p_x cos \theta - p_y sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]\bar{p_y} = p_x sin \theta + p_y cos \theta[/tex]

Where [f,g] = poisson bracket

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmm, well as far as I can tell in order to have a canonical transformation, we must say that:
[tex][q_j,q_k] = 0[/tex]
[tex][p_j, p_k] = 0[/tex]
[tex][q_j,p_k] = \delta_jk[/tex]

So here is what I've attempted:
I've got this funny feeling that
[tex] [\bar{x},\bar{p_y}] = \delta = 1 [/tex]
[tex] [\bar{y},\bar{p_x}] = \delta = 1 [/tex]
However that is just my intuition and I can't explain seem to find a mathematical way to explain why it isn't [tex]\bar{x}, \bar{p_x}[/tex] etc.

Nonetheless, I've done it both ways, and I seem to get the wrong answer either way:

[tex][\bar{x},\bar{p_y}] = \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_x} + \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_y} + \frac{ \partial \bar{x}}{\partial y} \frac{ \partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_x} + \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial y} \frac{\partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_y} = cos\theta sin\theta + cos^2 \theta + -sin^2 \theta + - sin \theta cos \theta = cos^2 \theta - sin^2 \theta[/tex]

Likewise for [x,px] I get:
[tex]cos^2 \theta - 2 sin \theta cos \theta + sin^2 \theta[/tex]The math seems straightforward so I have a feeling I'm doing something incorrectly with respect to setting up the problem. Does anyone see where I've gone wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What canon is being invoked?

Thanks for your reply,

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you mean. This is stemming from an analysis of the Hamiltonian (Shankar QM Ch 2.7).

sorry. Canon mean "by law". I'm not sure what law, or rule is being invoked.

It derives from "Papal Canon" as far as I can tell.

Whenever a professor uses these sort of words you should ask what they mean. "Manifestly" is another one. You shouldn't be afraid to ask. None of your peers know what they mean either. (And there's a good chance your professor doesn't know either.)

Honestly, I don't know what rule is to be taken as obvious. When a vector is rotated in a plane does it's length remain the same. This seems obvious, right? In other geometries it's not obvious, and is in fact false.

Last edited:
roeb said:

Homework Statement

Verify that the change to a rotated frame is a canonical transformation:

[tex]\bar{x} = x cos\theta - y sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]\bar{y} = x sin \theta + y cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]\bar{p_x} = p_x cos \theta - p_y sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]\bar{p_y} = p_x sin \theta + p_y cos \theta[/tex]

Where [f,g] = poisson bracket

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmm, well as far as I can tell in order to have a canonical transformation, we must say that:
[tex][q_j,q_k] = 0[/tex]
[tex][p_j, p_k] = 0[/tex]
[tex][q_j,p_k] = \delta_jk[/tex]

What you really want to show is that:

[tex][\bar{q}_j,\bar{q}_k] = 0[/tex]
[tex][\bar{p}_j, \bar{p}_k] = 0[/tex]
[tex][\bar{q}_j,\bar{p}_k] = \delta_{jk}[/tex]

Where [itex]\bar{q}_1=\bar{x}[/itex], [itex]\bar{q}_2=\bar{y}[/itex], [itex]\bar{p}_1=\bar{p}_x[/itex] and [itex]\bar{p}_2=\bar{p}_y[/itex]

So here is what I've attempted:
I've got this funny feeling that
[tex] [\bar{x},\bar{p_y}] = \delta = 1 [/tex]
[tex] [\bar{y},\bar{p_x}] = \delta = 1 [/tex]
However that is just my intuition and I can't explain seem to find a mathematical way to explain why it isn't [tex]\bar{x}, \bar{p_x}[/tex] etc.

This makes no sense, the kronecker delta without any indices is meaningless.

The equation [itex][\bar{q}_j,\bar{p}_k] = \delta_{jk}[/itex] implies that [itex][\bar{q}_1,\bar{p}_1]=[\bar{q}_2,\bar{p}_2] =1[/itex] and [itex][\bar{q}_1,\bar{p}_2]=[\bar{q}_2,\bar{p}_1] =0[/itex]...Or, in terms of [itex]\bar{x}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{y}[/itex], [itex][\bar{x},\bar{p}_x]=[\bar{y},\bar{p}_y] =1[/itex] and [itex][\bar{x},\bar{p}_y]=[\bar{y},\bar{p}_x] =0[/itex]...these are what you need to show are true (along with the other two conditions: [itex][\bar{q}_j,\bar{q}_k] = 0[/itex] and [itex][\bar{p}_j, \bar{p}_k] = 0[/itex])

Nonetheless, I've done it both ways, and I seem to get the wrong answer either way:

[tex][\bar{x},\bar{p_y}] = \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_x} + \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_y} + \frac{ \partial \bar{x}}{\partial y} \frac{ \partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_x} + \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial y} \frac{\partial \bar{p_y}}{\partial p_y} = cos\theta sin\theta + cos^2 \theta + -sin^2 \theta + - sin \theta cos \theta = cos^2 \theta - sin^2 \theta[/tex]

No,

[tex][\bar{x},\bar{p}_y] =[\bar{q}_1,\bar{p}_2] =\sum_{i=1,2} \frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial q_i} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_2}{\partial p_i} - \frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial p_i} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_2}{\partial q_i}=\left(\frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial q_1} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_2}{\partial p_1} - \frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial p_1} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_2}{\partial q_1}\right)+\left( \frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial q_2} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_2}{\partial p_2} - \frac{\partial \bar{q}_1}{\partial p_2} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_2}{\partial q_2} \right)=\left(\frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_y}{\partial p_x} - \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial p_x} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_y}{\partial x}\right)+\left( \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial y} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_y}{\partial p_y} - \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial p_y} \frac{\partial \bar{p}_y}{\partial y} \right)[/tex]

Related to Is a Rotated Frame a Canonical Transformation in Classical Mechanics?

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a change of variables in a physical system that preserves the equations of motion and the structure of the system. It is a mathematical tool used to simplify the description of a system by transforming it into a new set of coordinates.

2. Why are canonical transformations important?

Canonical transformations are important because they allow us to simplify the mathematical description of a physical system. They can also reveal new insights and relationships between different systems and provide a more intuitive understanding of the system's behavior.

3. What are the types of canonical transformations?

The two main types of canonical transformations are point transformations and generating function transformations. Point transformations involve a direct change of coordinates, while generating function transformations use a generating function to perform the transformation.

4. How do you determine if a transformation is canonical?

A transformation is canonical if it preserves the form of Hamilton's equations, which describe the motion of a system in phase space. This means that the new coordinates and momenta must satisfy the same equations of motion as the original coordinates and momenta.

5. Can canonical transformations change the physical properties of a system?

No, canonical transformations do not change the physical properties of a system. They only provide a different mathematical representation of the system, which should yield the same physical results as the original coordinates.