Is a Relation Transitive If No Complete Pair Set Exists for Verification?

In summary: Therefore, the entire statement is considered true. This is because in logic, an implication is only considered false if the antecedent is true and the consequent is false. In summary, if a relation R on a set S is transitive, then the condition (x,y) and (y,z) ==> (x,z) holds true for all pairs in R, even if there are no pairs to test this condition.
dijkarte
A relation R on a set S is transitive:

(x, y) and (y, x) ==> (x, z), for all pairs in R

So if I cannot find (y, z) for (x, y) in R, does this mean the relation is considered transitive since the condition still holds true because False ==> False/True evaluates to True?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fix the typo in your statement of the definition of transitive.

You aren't asking your question clearly because you aren't using any logical quantifiers on your variables (such as "there exists" or "for each". I think your question is whether a relaton on R is transitive in the case where we can't find any counterexample to it being transitive. The answer to that is yes. Your idea that this is because "false implies false" is true is basically correct.

OK got it, thanks!

dijkarte said:
A relation R on a set S is transitive:

(x, y) and (y, x) ==> (x, z), for all pairs in R

So if I cannot find (y, z) for (x, y) in R, does this mean the relation is considered transitive since the condition still holds true because False ==> False/True evaluates to True?

Thanks.

If you regard (x,y) as the antecedent and (x,z) as the consequent of a logical implication and you regard (x,y) as true and (x,z) as false), then the implication is false. However this is an unusual way to frame the concept of transitivity. Moreover,the expression should be (x,y) -> (y,z) if transitivity holds. Given that as a premise, you can say (x,y)-> (x,z)

Last edited:
If you regard (x,y) as the antecedent and (x,z) as the consequent of a logical implication and you regard (x,y) as true and (x,z) as false), then the implication is false. However this is an unusual way to frame the concept of transitivity. Moreover,the expression should be (x,y) -> (y,z) if transitivity holds. Given that as a premise, you can say (x,y)-> (x,z)

I have no idea what this means :)

I'm not framing the concept of transitivity, I'm trying to understand why or why not we can say a relation is transitive when there's no complete set of pairs to test the condition.

In other words R = { (1, 2), (4, 3) } is transitive, where R is a relation on the set { 1, 2, 3, 4 }, because there's no (2, a) and (3, b), so that we can check for existence of (1, a) and (4, b).

dijkarte said:
I have no idea what this means :)

I'm not framing the concept of transitivity, I'm trying to understand why or why not we can say a relation is transitive when there's no complete set of pairs to test the condition.

In other words R = { (1, 2), (4, 3) } is transitive, where R is a relation on the set { 1, 2, 3, 4 }, because there's no (2, a) and (3, b), so that we can check for existence of (1, a) and (4, b).

Yes, R is transitive, because as you point out, IF xRy and yRz THEN xRz. The antecedent (the IF part) is vacuously true.

Related to Is a Relation Transitive If No Complete Pair Set Exists for Verification?

1. What is a transitive relation?

A transitive relation is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between three or more objects or elements, in which if object A is related to object B and object B is related to object C, then object A is also related to object C. In simpler terms, it means that if A is connected to B, and B is connected to C, then A is also connected to C.

2. What is the importance of the transitive relation condition?

The transitive relation condition is important because it ensures that a relation is consistent and logical. It helps to identify patterns and connections between different elements, and can be used to make predictions or solve problems in various fields such as mathematics, science, and computer science.

3. How is the transitive relation condition used in mathematics?

In mathematics, the transitive relation condition is used to define and analyze various mathematical concepts such as functions, equivalence relations, and orders. It is also used to prove the validity of mathematical theorems and to solve problems involving sets and relations.

4. Can the transitive relation condition be violated?

Yes, the transitive relation condition can be violated if there is a counterexample where object A is related to object B, and object B is related to object C, but object A is not related to object C. This is known as a non-transitive relation and can occur in situations where there are exceptions or inconsistencies in a set of data.

5. How is the transitive relation condition applied in real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, the transitive relation condition can be applied to analyze and understand various relationships and connections between objects or entities. For example, it can be used in social networks to study how individuals are connected to each other, in transportation systems to determine the most efficient routes, and in supply chain management to optimize the flow of goods and services.