Is a New Members Forum Necessary on PF?

• Thread starter CrazyNinja
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently a debate on whether or not the "New Member Introductions" forum is necessary on PF. Some argue that it is a good way for new members to get their feet wet and receive a warm welcome, while others question its scientific purpose and potential waste of storage space. It is also suggested to have a designated thread for new member introductions instead.
CrazyNinja
OK I am feeling giddly because this is my first thread on PF. Hope it generates enthusiastic debate.

The point is simple: Do we actually require "New Member Introductions" Forum? I have seen a couple of threads pop in the Unanswered Threads Forum ( which is absolutely wonderful by the way) and I've made sure I reply to them. I know it is encouraging when someone shows an interest in you when you introduce yourself, but the replies to these threads are very rare. Further more, they do not actually serve a scientific purpose ( fictional, non-fictional or otherwise) and could be a waste of storage space for PF servers ( OK I am just assuming this ).

In addition to this, we need to also think if they actually serve their purpose? Do we remember any of the people we have welcomed in New Member Introduction Forums? Are they really "introduced"?

Cheers
CN

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
No requirement, plenty of space on PF servers, just a way for new members to get their feet wet and try posting a thread.

Likes Ryan_m_b
I didn't know there was a members forum to start with. Why a new one then?

There already exists one @WWGD .

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/new-member-introductions.240/

We can have a new member introduction thread instead and direct newbies automatically to that thread after they activate their profiles!

@Lisa! It will clutter space up and look less neat than it is now. Plus it won't serve the purpose Greg wants it to- "get the new guys to wet their feet". I was wondering why they can't jump into action slight away. The entire forum seems quite self explanatory.

Related to Is a New Members Forum Necessary on PF?

1. Do new members need a separate forum?

It depends on the specific needs and goals of the organization. In some cases, a separate forum for new members can be beneficial for providing a space for them to ask questions and get acquainted with the community. However, in other cases, integrating new members into the existing forum may be more effective for promoting inclusivity and fostering a sense of community.

2. What are the benefits of having a New Members Forum?

A New Members Forum can provide a dedicated space for new members to ask questions, learn about the organization, and connect with other new members. It can also help to streamline the onboarding process and make new members feel more comfortable and welcomed into the community.

3. Is a New Members Forum necessary for all organizations?

No, it is not necessary for all organizations to have a separate forum for new members. It ultimately depends on the size and structure of the organization, as well as the preferences of the existing members. Some organizations may find that integrating new members into the existing forum works well, while others may benefit from having a separate space for new members to connect and learn.

4. How can a New Members Forum be effectively managed?

Effective management of a New Members Forum involves clear guidelines and rules, active moderation, and regular engagement from existing members. It is important to monitor the forum for any inappropriate behavior and address any issues promptly. Encouraging existing members to actively participate in the forum and welcome new members can also help to create a positive and welcoming atmosphere.

5. Can a New Members Forum be integrated into an existing forum?

Yes, it is possible to integrate a New Members Forum into an existing forum. This could involve creating a separate subforum or category specifically for new members, or simply having a designated thread for new members to introduce themselves and ask questions. Integrating the new members into the existing forum can help to promote inclusivity and foster a sense of community among all members.