Is A Course in Theoretical Physics by P.J. Shepherd Worth Reading?

• Other
  • Thread starter Geofleur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Theory
In summary, there is a discussion about the book "A Course in Theoretical Physics" by P.J. Shepherd. The book is fairly new with no reviews on Amazon yet and is a first edition, so there may be some errors. However, there is a preview available with the table of contents and first chapter. The book covers a wide range of topics and goes into depth, but some later chapters may not be as detailed. The author seems to have a good understanding of the subject matter and has used other sources for their work. Overall, the book is well-written and informative.
Geofleur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Has anyone here looked at A Course in Theoretical Physics by P.J. Shepherd? It seems to cover a lot of good topics, but does it do a good job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its a fairly new book and there's no reviews on Amazon yet so any comments here would have to be from personal experience. The book is also a first edition which means there are likely some errata.

I did find this first chapter of the book with an included table of contents. In the table of contents, the first few chapters cover a lot of ground whereas the later chapters seem to gloss through the subject matter to be covered. I'm thinking this pdf came out before the book was finished in order to get pre-orders for it.

https://download.e-bookshelf.de/download/0000/7530/28/L-G-0000753028-0002366114.pdf

MENTOR NOTE: PDF is a book preview with TOC and first chapter only.

It looks like an interesting book though.

I don't usually comment on books with no specialized topic, but this seems like a good writing. It more than scratches the surface for all its subjects and it's pretty clear to me he more than just simply read the Landau & Lishits series (especially the 2nd volume on classical field theory).

I'm not a fan of thi types of books who put the standard material into a superficial mathematical context, but for its author's purpose it does a good job.

Related to Is A Course in Theoretical Physics by P.J. Shepherd Worth Reading?

1. What is the main focus of this theory book?

The main focus of this theory book is to explain and explore a specific scientific theory or concept.

2. Who is the author of this theory book?

The author of this theory book is typically a well-respected scientist or academic in the field.

3. Is this theory book suitable for beginners or is it more advanced?

This would depend on the specific theory book, but most will have a target audience and level of difficulty indicated on the cover or in the book description.

4. Can I find any supporting evidence or experiments in this theory book?

Many theory books will include supporting evidence and experiments, but this may vary depending on the specific book and theory being discussed.

5. Are there any critiques or alternative perspectives presented in this theory book?

Again, this will depend on the specific theory book, but it is common for authors to present critiques or alternative perspectives to encourage critical thinking and discussion.