Is (a,a) a Better Notation for Representing an Empty Set Than [a,a]?

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convention
In summary, the closed interval [a,a] can be considered a legitimate notation for the set {a}, although it is not commonly used in such a degenerate case. On the other hand, (a,a) is typically interpreted as the empty set. However, in some cases, it may be used to represent a set with only one element, as shown in the examples provided. Ultimately, the choice of notation depends on the context and the intention of the author.
StephenPrivitera
Is the closed interval [a,a] considered a legitimate notation for the set {a}? Would (a,a) denote the empty set?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I haven't actually seen anyone use that notation in such a degenerate case, but I don't see any reason why the usage you describe isn't legitimate.

[a,a] is used- usually in something like [a,b] where you want to consider the possibility that b= a.

If I came across reference to an interval like (a,a), I probably would interpret it as the empty set- although I would wonder why they picked a!

A={x : f(x)<0 on [a,x]}
Is a in A? It is if f(x)<0 on [a,a]. And since [a,a] has only one number, it suffices to show that f(a)<0.

A={x : f(x)<0 on (a,x)}
Is a in A? It is if f(x)<0 on (a,a). But this is kind of nonsense. There is nothing in (a,a). You make the call.

So anyway, I just wanted to point this out to show why you might write (a,a) rather than {}.

Related to Is (a,a) a Better Notation for Representing an Empty Set Than [a,a]?

What is a quick convention?

A quick convention is a meeting or gathering of people with a common interest or purpose, typically related to a specific industry or field. It is usually a shorter and more informal event compared to a traditional conference.

Why are quick conventions popular?

Quick conventions are popular because they allow individuals to network and learn from others in their industry in a shorter amount of time. They are also less expensive and more accessible compared to larger conferences, making it easier for people to attend and stay up-to-date on the latest trends and developments.

What are the benefits of attending a quick convention?

Attending a quick convention can provide numerous benefits, such as networking opportunities, learning from industry experts, gaining new insights and ideas, and staying up-to-date on current trends and technologies. It can also be a great way to promote your own work and business.

How can I make the most out of a quick convention?

To make the most out of a quick convention, it is important to plan ahead and set specific goals for what you want to achieve. This can include identifying key sessions or speakers to attend, networking with other attendees, and actively participating in discussions and workshops. It is also helpful to follow up with contacts after the convention to continue building relationships.

Are quick conventions only for professionals?

No, quick conventions are open to anyone with an interest in the topic or industry being covered. They can be beneficial for professionals looking to expand their knowledge and network, as well as students or individuals looking to enter a particular field. Some quick conventions may also have specific events or sessions geared towards beginners or students.