Is 66° Below the Horizontal? Solve the Equation

• Thread starter cerium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Horizontal
In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of flux of the Earth's magnetic field through a wedding ring, which has a diameter of 2.2cm and is held in the horizontal plane. The angle of 66 degrees below the horizontal refers to the angle between the Earth's magnetic field and the normal to the ring. To find the magnitude of flux, you would use the equation ABcos(theta), with theta being the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the ring.
cerium

Homework Statement

if a questions states that the angle of 66 degrees is below the horizontal is that the angle I put into the equation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cerium! :smile:
cerium said:
if a questions states that the angle of 66 degrees is below the horizontal is that the angle I put into the equation

erm :redface:what equation? :wink:

Sorry missed out the most important part
ABcos(theata) can't find symbol for that.
the question asked you to find magnetic flux I have worked out A and B but I am unsure what it means when it says : the angle is 66 degrees below the horizontal:
Thanks

Hi cerium! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a degree: º :wink:)

(i still don't understand what this is about :redface:)

I assume that θ is the angle between A and B,

so what are A and B?

The Earth's magnetic field at a certian location in the uk has a magnitude of 48x10-6T and is directed at 66 degrees below the horizontal.
Determine the magnitude of flux of the Earth's magnetic field through a wedding ring of diameter 2.2cm when the ring is held in the horizontal plane.
What is the magnitude of flux change when the ring is flipped through 180 degrees.

It the angle that is bothering me
Thanks

ah!

so B is 66º below the horizontal.

ok, the flux through a surface (or through its boundary) is greatest when the surface is perpendicular to the field, ie when the normal to the surface is parallel to the field.

So θ is the angle between B and the normal to the ring. :wink:

I see so I would be using cos24 not cos66

Yes. :smile:

Related to Is 66° Below the Horizontal? Solve the Equation

1. What does 66° below the horizontal mean?

66° below the horizontal refers to the angle of a line or object in relation to the horizontal plane. It means that the line or object is tilted or slanted downwards at an angle of 66°.

2. How do you solve an equation involving 66° below the horizontal?

The process of solving an equation involving 66° below the horizontal is the same as solving any other equation. You would follow the rules of algebra, such as combining like terms and isolating the variable, to arrive at a solution.

3. Why is 66° used as the angle below the horizontal in this equation?

The angle of 66° below the horizontal may have been chosen for a specific reason in the context of the problem or experiment. It could represent the angle of a slope or incline, or the angle of a force acting downwards.

4. Is 66° below the horizontal the same as 66° above the horizontal?

No, 66° below the horizontal is not the same as 66° above the horizontal. 66° above the horizontal would be an angle of incline, while 66° below the horizontal would be an angle of decline or descent.

5. Can an angle below the horizontal be negative?

Yes, an angle below the horizontal can be negative. In a standard coordinate system, angles below the horizontal are considered negative and angles above the horizontal are considered positive.