Irreversible adiabatic reaction

In summary, the problem involves adding a small amount of steam to a larger amount of water at different temperatures and finding the total entropy change for the process. The final temperature of the system is found to be 59.7 C and the change in entropy is 97.9 J/mole. The initial and final enthalpies of the system are equal, and the formula used to find the final temperature is based on the assumption that there is no change in enthalpy at constant pressure.
liquidicy
Hey everyone =) This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while.

Anyway, so i am taking this physical chemistry class and I can't seem to solve this problem. I think it is still a physics problem.

Anyway, it goes like this:

small amount of moles of steam (.83 moles) @ 100 celsius is added to a larger amount of water (13.9 moles) @ 25 Celsius. The pressure standard is constant and walls are adiabatic. They want me to find the total entropy change for the process.

Basically this problem would be really easy if it was easy to find the final temperature of the system. I can't figure it out.

The problem gives data such as enthalpy of vaporization of water which is 40.656 kJ/mol @ 373.15 kelvin. They also give me molar heat capacities of liquid water @ constant pressure: (Cp) (75.25 J/(k*mole)) and steam (33.256J/(K*mole))

Basically i thought total enthalpy change would be zero. I am not even sure of that but assuming it is, I got this equation:

(moles of gas)*(enthalpy of vaporization) + (moles of vapor turned water)*(Cp of water)*([tex]\Delta[/tex] T of gas turned water) = (moles of the water @25)*(Cp of water)+([tex]\Delta[/tex] in T of water)

After finding the final temperature, i realized that it is impossible. I got a 25 degree change in temperature of the water after adding basically 15 grams of water to 250 grams of water. It is like adding a tablespoon of boiling water into a pretty large cup of water. It wouldn't change the temperature by 25 degrees. So that means that the formula that I had was wrong =(

Can anyone suggest an alternate solution? Thnx =)

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step in this problem is to establish the final state o the system. At constant pressure, there is no change in the enthalpy of the system.

Taking 25 C at 1 atm as the reference state for enthalpy, the enthalpy per mole of the liquid water in the initial state is 0. The enthalpy per mole of the steam in the initial state of the steam is 75.25(100-25)+40656 = 46300 J/mole. So the enthalpy in the initial state of the system is:
$$H_i=(13.9)(0)+(0.83)(46300)=38430\ J$$

Assuming that, in the final state, we have all liquid water at temperature T, the enthalpy of the system in the final state is $$H_f=(14.73)(75.25)(T-25)$$
This must be equal to the initial enthalpy, so we must have:
$$(14.73)(75.25)(T-25)=38430$$
Solving for T then gives a final temperature of T = 59.7 C

Taking the same reference state for entropy as for enthalpy, the initial entropy of the system was:
$$S_i=(0.83)(75.25\ln{(373/298)}+\frac{40656}{373})=104.5\ J/mole$$
The final entropy of the system is
$$S_f=(14.73)(75.25)\ln{(357.7/298)}=202.4\ J/mole$$ So the change in entropy between the initial and final states of the system is $$\Delta S = 202.4-104.5=97.9\ J/mole$$

Related to Irreversible adiabatic reaction

1. What is an irreversible adiabatic reaction?

An irreversible adiabatic reaction is a chemical reaction that occurs without any exchange of heat with the surroundings. This means that the temperature of the system remains constant throughout the reaction. Irreversible reactions are also known as non-equilibrium reactions, as they do not reach a state of equilibrium.

2. How is an irreversible adiabatic reaction different from a reversible adiabatic reaction?

In a reversible adiabatic reaction, the reaction can be reversed by changing the conditions, such as temperature or pressure. However, in an irreversible adiabatic reaction, the reaction cannot be reversed and will only proceed in one direction. Additionally, a reversible adiabatic reaction can reach a state of equilibrium, whereas an irreversible adiabatic reaction does not reach equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the rate of an irreversible adiabatic reaction?

The rate of an irreversible adiabatic reaction is affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of a catalyst. An increase in temperature generally leads to a faster reaction rate, while a decrease in concentration or the presence of a catalyst can also increase the reaction rate.

4. Can an irreversible adiabatic reaction be spontaneous?

Yes, an irreversible adiabatic reaction can be spontaneous. Spontaneous reactions are those that occur without any external influence and release energy. In an irreversible adiabatic reaction, the release of energy is in the form of an increase in temperature, as there is no exchange of heat with the surroundings.

5. What are some real-life examples of irreversible adiabatic reactions?

One example of an irreversible adiabatic reaction is the combustion of fuels, such as gasoline in a car engine. The reaction between oxygen and gasoline is irreversible and releases energy in the form of heat, which causes the engine to run. Another example is the formation of rust on iron, which is an irreversible reaction that occurs in the presence of oxygen and moisture.