Irregular beam physics homework

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the time delay between two pulses traveling through strings attached to an irregular beam hanging horizontally from the ceiling. Using the equations for tension and wave speed, the forces on the beam were calculated and used to determine the time taken for each pulse to travel to the ceiling. It was found that the pulse on String A arrives first with a delay of 0.006 seconds.
MrShimizu

Homework Statement

A 1750-N irregular beam is haning horizontally by its ends from the ceiling by two vertical wires (A and B), each 1.25m long and weighing 2.50N. The center of gravity of this beam is one third of the way along the beam from the end where wire A is attached. A) If you pluck both strings at the same time at the beam, what is the time delay between the arrival of the two pulses at the ceiling? B) Which pulse arrives first?

Homework Equations

T_a + T_b = 1750
Sum of all forces = 0.
wave speed = sqrt(force/linear mass density)
C_g is L/3 from A and 2L/3 from B

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just have hit a logical block and have no idea what to do.
------
L = 1.25
m = .255
mu = mass/length = .204
To find the force I tried: T = F * L/3
with F = 1750, a guess, really
1.25*1750/3 = 729.1666

Now I can't decide what to do with that number or even if it is a correct answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

MrShimizu said:
L = 1.25
m = .255
mu = mass/length = .204
OK.
To find the force I tried: T = F * L/3
with F = 1750, a guess, really
Don't guess. Set the net torque on the beam to zero and solve for the two tensions.
1.25*1750/3 = 729.1666
Not sure what you're doing here. Why did you multiply by 1.25?

Once you find the force, use it and mu to find the speed of the pulse. How long does each pulse take to travel to the ceiling?

Don't guess. Set the net torque on the beam to zero and solve for the two tensions.

Such that:
F1L1-F2L2=0

L1 = 1.25/3 = .417
L2 = 2*1.25/3 = .833

?

MrShimizu said:
Such that:
F1L1-F2L2=0
Yes.

L1 = 1.25/3 = .417
L2 = 2*1.25/3 = .833
No, the 1.25 is the length of the strings, not the length of the beam. Call the length of the beam "L". Then what are L1 and L2 in terms of L? You don't need the actual length of the beam--which isn't given--to solve for the forces.

No, the 1.25 is the length of the strings, not the length of the beam.
This made me feel particularly... obtuse.

L1 = L/3
L2 = 2L/3

Then:
F1L1 - F2L2 = 0
(F1*L)/3 - (F2*2L)/3 = 0

Should F1+F2 = -1750?

MrShimizu said:
L1 = L/3
L2 = 2L/3

Then:
F1L1 - F2L2 = 0
(F1*L)/3 - (F2*2L)/3 = 0
Good. Keep simplifying this. How does F1 relate to F2?

Should F1+F2 = -1750?
Yes, but get rid of the minus sign. Then you can solve for the forces by combining the two equations.

F1 = 2F2
I got that from isolating F1 in the earlier equation.

By plugging that into the lower equation

F1=1166.67
F2=583.33

v = sqrt(f/mu)

v1=75.62m/s
v2=53.46m/s

t=d/v;d=1.25m

t1=.017s
t2=.023s

Delta_t = .006s
The wave on String A arrives first.

MrShimizu said:
F1 = 2F2
I got that from isolating F1 in the earlier equation.

By plugging that into the lower equation

F1=1166.67
F2=583.33

v = sqrt(f/mu)

v1=75.62m/s
v2=53.46m/s

t=d/v;d=1.25m

t1=.017s
t2=.023s

Delta_t = .006s
The wave on String A arrives first.
Excellent!

My only suggestion would be to not round off to two significant figures until the end. (Use 3 sig figs when you calculate the time--that will give you a slightly different Delta t.)

Thank you very much for your help, good Sir.

I'll also modify my answer as you advised.

Thanks again!

Related to Irregular beam physics homework

1. What is an irregular beam in physics?

An irregular beam in physics refers to a beam of particles that do not have a uniform shape or distribution. This can occur due to external factors such as scattering or deflection, or internal factors such as variations in the energy or momentum of the particles.

2. How is the trajectory of an irregular beam determined?

The trajectory of an irregular beam is determined by the laws of physics, specifically the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. By understanding the initial conditions and the forces acting on the beam, scientists can calculate the trajectory using mathematical equations.

3. What are the applications of studying irregular beam physics?

The study of irregular beam physics has numerous applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and medical physics. It helps us understand the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators, the interaction of particles with matter, and the effects of radiation on biological tissues.

4. How are irregular beams produced in experiments?

Irregular beams can be produced in experiments by using particle accelerators to accelerate particles to high energies and then directing them through a series of magnets and detectors. This process can produce beams with irregular shapes and distributions, which can then be studied and analyzed.

5. What are some challenges in studying irregular beam physics?

One of the main challenges in studying irregular beam physics is accurately predicting and controlling the behavior of the particles. This requires advanced mathematical models and precise experimental techniques. Additionally, the high energies involved in these experiments can also pose safety concerns for researchers and the surrounding environment.