Irrational power of an irrational number

In summary, the expression 2^(digit number/(10^(n))) yields an increasing function of irrational numbers.
analyzer
What kind of number is sqrt(2)^sqrt(2)?

I have noted sqrt(2)^sqrt(2) = 2^(sqrt(2)/2) = 2^(1/sqrt(2)), i.e. a rational number to an irrational power.

Now, 1/sqrt(2) is less than 1, but greater than zero. So, given that 2^x is an increasing function, 2^(1/sqrt(2)) is less than 2^1, but greater than 2^0.

Also, I tried the following. Let a,b be positive integers such that 2^(1/sqrt(2)) = a/b. What I want to do is reach a contradicition for otherwise I would assume the number in question is rational.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last statement is poor logic. If you can show [itex]2^{1/\sqrt{2}}= a/b[/itex] then, yes, by definition, it is rational. If you cannot show that you don't know what it is. The fact that you cannot show something doesn't mean it isn't true.

Thanks for replying. I see what you mean by poor logic. I feel silly. After posting the problem, I read a thread in which you answer the question of whether an irrational number to an irrational power can be rational. That makes my day as I thought I had to know what kind of number sqrt(2)^sqrt(2) is.

Anyways, the question remains: what kind of number is sqrt(2)^sqrt(2)?

1 < sqrt(2) < 2

Therefore,

1/2 < sqrt(2)/2 = 1/sqrt(2) < 1

Now, 1/sqrt(2) is irrational, i.e. some infinite nonrepeating decimal.

It has the form

0 + digit number/10 + digit number/100 + digit number/1000 + ...

Then, sqrt(2)^ sqrt(2) = 2^(1/ sqrt(2)) = 2^0 * 2^(digit number/10) *
2^(digit number/100) * 2^(digit number/1000) * ...

Now, what kind of number is 2^(digit number/(10^n)) for every positive

integer n?

First, 10^n > digit number. When digit number = 2, digit number/10^n

takes the form 1/(5*10^(n-1)).

Now, let 2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) = a/b, with a, b positive integers (necessarily)

greater than 1:

2 = (a/b)^(5*10^(n-1))
2 * b^(5*10^(n-1)) = a^(5*10^(n-1))

But the last statement seems to be a contradiction. Both sides of the

equation represent nonprime natural numbers greater than one. Every

nonprime natural number greater than one can be expressed as a unique

product of primes. The right-hand side of the equation has 2 as factor a

different number of times from the left-hand side. According to this,

2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) is an irrational number. Correct me if I am wrong.

At last, what I suspect, but have not proved of course, is that 2^(1/sqrt(2))

is the product of infinitely many irrational numbers. But, does this

approach lead anywhere?

A way to prove that sqrt(2) is an irrational number is the following.

Let a, b be natural numbers greater than 1. Now, I plug

sqrt(2) = a/b

As you will see, that statement leads to a contradiction. Square both sides of the equation:

2 = (a^2)/(b^2)

2(b^2) = a^2

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic: every nonprime number greater than one can be expressed as a unique product of primes.

Now, clearly, the right-hand side of the equation has the factor 2 a different number of times from that of the left-hand side. Namely, on the right-hand side, 2 appears as a factor an even number of times. But on the left-hand side, it appears as factor an odd number of times.

What went wrong? It happens to be that sqrt(2) is not a rational number (a/b). It is an irrational number.

I have to say that I took this proof from Varberg and Fleming's Algebra and Trigonometry with Analytic Geometry: A problem-solving approach (the Spanish language version).

I have used the same logic above to show that 2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) is an irrational number. Maybe I omitted some details. So I will be more explicit:

Let a, b, n be positive integers. Then, plug

2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) = a/b

Now, 0 < 1/(5*10^(n-1)) < 1

Given that 2^x, with x real, is an increasing function,

2^0 < 2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) < 2^1

So, 2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) lies somewhere between 2 and 1. Being that the case, it is not an integer. So b can't be equal to 1. Also, a is not equal to b; it must be greater than it. That's why a is not equal to 1.

Going back, I raise the following equation to the power of 5*10^(n-1):

2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) = a/b

2 = (a/b)^(5*10^(n-1))

2*b^(5*10^(n-1)) = a^(5*10^(n-1))

On the left-hand side, there may be only one factor 2. And, if tha't's the case, the right-hand side also must have one factor 2, but that's not the case.

Now, the other possibility is that, on the left-hand side, 2 appears as factor a multiple-of -five-plus-one number of times, whereas on the right-hand side it appears a multiple-of-five number of times. Now, it seems to me that that's a contradiction.

The conclusion is that 2^(1/(5*10^(n-1))) is an irrational number.

I want to prove in the same fashion (on a case by case basis) what kinds of numbers the expression 2^(digit number/(10^(n))) yields (rational, irrational?). But, does this program lead anywhere concerning the question of what kind of number is sqrt(2)^sqrt(2)?

Remember,

sqrt(2)^sqrt(2) = 2^(1/sqrt(2)) = 2^0 * 2^(digit number/10) * 2^(digit number/100) * 2^(digit number/1000) * ...

I would also be grateful if someone can assess the reasoning I have followed on this post.

You aren't going to be able to show a number is irrational by showing it's a limit of rational or irrational numbers. sqrt(2)^sqrt(2) is irrational. In fact, it's transcendental. It's a easy consequence of the Gelfond-Schneider theorem. I'm not sure there is any elementary way to show this.

Last edited:

Related to Irrational power of an irrational number

1. What is an irrational power of an irrational number?

An irrational power of an irrational number is when an irrational number, such as π or √2, is raised to a power that is also irrational. This results in a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and has an infinite number of non-repeating digits.

2. How is an irrational power of an irrational number calculated?

To calculate an irrational power of an irrational number, you can use a calculator or a computer program that can handle irrational numbers. The result will be an approximation since irrational numbers cannot be represented exactly in decimal form.

3. What is an example of an irrational power of an irrational number?

An example of an irrational power of an irrational number is (√2)^(√3). This results in a number that is approximately 2.66514414269 and cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

4. Can an irrational power of an irrational number be rational?

No, an irrational power of an irrational number will always result in an irrational number. This is because raising an irrational number to an irrational power is essentially multiplying an infinite number of non-repeating digits, which will never result in a rational number.

5. What is the significance of irrational powers of irrational numbers in mathematics?

Irrational powers of irrational numbers are important in fields such as number theory and geometry. They can be used to solve certain mathematical problems and equations, and also have applications in physics and other sciences.