Can Rational Numbers Approximate Irrational Numbers Arbitrarily Closely?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that an irrational number β can be described to any limit of accuracy with the help of rational numbers. It is proposed that for any given β, it falls between two consecutive integers and can be divided into n parts to determine the accuracy. The proof of this theorem depends on the definition of real numbers, such as equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences of rational numbers. Additionally, it is suggested that the decimal expansion of an irrational number can be truncated at any time to get a rational approximation with a small error term. The conversation also raises questions about the proof and asks for a definition of "a number can be described with the help of a rational."
Kartik.
Prove the theorem comprising that an irrational number β can be described to any limit of accuracy with the help of rational.

Attempt-
Taking the β to be greater than zero and is expressed with an accuracy of 1/n
For any arbitrary value of β, it falls between two consecutive integers which are assumed to be N and N+1.Division of the interval between N and N+1 is into n parts.After this step i know that the number will fall between N+m/n and N+(M+1/n), but my question is HOW? and i also want to know about the rest of the proof.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kartik. said:
Prove the theorem comprising that an irrational number β can be described to any limit of accuracy with the help of rational.

Attempt-
Taking the β to be greater than zero and is expressed with an accuracy of 1/n
For any arbitrary value of β, it falls between two consecutive integers which are assumed to be N and N+1.Division of the interval between N and N+1 is into n parts.After this step i know that the number will fall between N+m/n and N+(M+1/n), but my question is HOW? and i also want to know about the rest of the proof.

Please define what is "a number can be described with the help of a rational".

I bet, for sure, that what you need here is a simple fact about limits, the euclidean topology of the reals and stuff, but if

you haven't yet studied this then it's important to know what you think you have to prove.

DonAntonio

I assume you mean that, given an irrational number, x, and [itex]\delta> 0[/itex], there exist a rational number, y, such that [itex]|x- y|< \delta[/itex].

How you would prove that depends upon how you are defining "real number". If, for example, you define the real numbers as "equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences of rational numbers" this is relatively simple to prove.

If you start with the decimal expansion of an irrational number, you can truncate it at any time to get a rational approximation. At n decimal places the error term ~ 10-n.

Edit: Posted in wrong thread. Sorry.

Kartik. said:
For any arbitrary value of β, it falls between two consecutive integers which are assumed to be N and N+1.

Can you prove this? If you can, see if you can use the same technique to prove that β falls between N+(m/n) and N+[(m+1)/n], for some m.

Related to Can Rational Numbers Approximate Irrational Numbers Arbitrarily Closely?

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, meaning it has an infinite and non-repeating decimal expansion.

2. What is the Irrational Numbers' Theorem?

The Irrational Numbers' Theorem, also known as the Pythagorean Theorem, states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. Who discovered the Irrational Numbers' Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem was discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, but the concept of irrational numbers was not fully understood until later by Greek mathematician Euclid.

4. How is the Irrational Numbers' Theorem used in everyday life?

The Pythagorean Theorem is commonly used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and construction to calculate distances and angles. It is also used in navigation and GPS systems to determine the shortest distance between two points.

5. Are there any practical applications of irrational numbers?

Yes, irrational numbers have many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics. For example, the famous mathematical constant pi (π) is an irrational number and is used in various calculations in science and engineering.