Irrational Numbers: Is It Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having an infinite string of the same number in the middle of an irrational number. The idea is deemed nonsensical as it violates the definition of "being infinite" and the concept of decimal expansions. The conversation also touches on the meaning of a sequence and its relation to decimal expansions.
cragar
Is it possible to have an infinite string of the same number in the middle of an irrational number?
For example could I have 1.2232355555555.....3434343232211
Where their was an infinite block of 5's. Then I was trying to think of ways to prove or disprove this. It does seem like it might not be able to happen because if I had an infinite a 5's in a row then it seems like it would be a rational number.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "number" you are speaking of is nonsensical. You can't have an infinite string of 5's, and then have numbers come after that. If there are infinitely many 5's, you can't add anything after that; because it would mean the string of 5's eventually terminates at some point, which violates the definition of "being infinite", or "not having an end". This makes all of your question nonsensical as a whole. Perhaps you meant something else, but couldn't phrase it properly?

If the 3434... part of the number exists, then the string of 5's before it terminates, hence not an infinite string.

You must be careful about what a decimal expansion actually is. Given a number ##x\geq 0##, a decimal expansion is a sequence

[tex](x_0,~x_1,~x_2,~x_3,~...)[/tex]

where ##x_0\in \mathbb{N}## and where ##0\leq x_i\leq 9## for ##i>0##. It must satisfy

[tex]x = x_0 + x_1\frac{1}{10} + x_2\frac{1}{10^2} + ...+ x_n \frac{1}{10^n}+...[/tex]

What is a sequence? Well, it is a map ##f:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##. We write ##f(n) = x_n##.

When you say you add an infinite number of ##5## in the middle, then this is invalid as it would not produce a sequence anymore. It is impossible to write something like that as a map from the naturals.

ok thanks

Related to Irrational Numbers: Is It Possible?

1. What are irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They are numbers that continue infinitely without repeating or terminating, such as pi or the square root of 2.

2. How do we know if a number is irrational?

A number can be proven to be irrational if it cannot be written as a simple fraction. This can be done through a proof by contradiction, where it is assumed that the number can be expressed as a fraction and then shown to be false.

3. Are there more irrational numbers than rational numbers?

Yes, there are infinitely more irrational numbers than rational numbers. In fact, the set of irrational numbers is uncountably infinite, meaning it cannot be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

4. Can irrational numbers be used in real-world applications?

Yes, irrational numbers are used in many real-world applications in fields such as science, engineering, and finance. For example, pi is used in calculations involving circles, and the golden ratio is used in art and design.

5. Is it possible for an irrational number to be turned into a rational number?

No, it is not possible to turn an irrational number into a rational number. Any attempt to do so would result in a finite decimal or repeating decimal, which by definition, would no longer be considered irrational.