Resources to understand physics-related math?

• Thread starter Descartes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, a 23-year-old software engineer is going back to school for physics and astronomy to deepen their understanding of math behind concepts such as relativity and Maxwell's equations. They are seeking book recommendations, including Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics and The Feynman Lectures on Physics. They are also advised to be prepared for a challenging read with Jackson's book.
Descartes
I'm currently 23 years old, and I've been working as a software engineer since school (few years ago) while maintaining my interest in all the sciences at a more superficial level (i.e. not delving entirely into the mathematics).

I did have calculus in school, but I'm afraid my understanding has suffered over time, and my class wasn't exceptional even without the time dilation.

I am going back to school for physics and astronomy simply because I feel it's where my interests truly lie, but can you pundits suggest books or other resources that will help me become acclimated? I'd like to be able to fully realize the math behind relativity, Lorentz transformations, Maxwell's equations, etc.; those are just the more well-known examples. I want to understand profoundly, not superficially.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Buy a textbook (or ten).

I believe one of the best E&M textbooks is Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics.

You might want to consider picking up a copy of The Feynman Lectures on Physics. The first volume deals with atomic theory, some special relativity, and so on. The second volume is nearly all electromagnetism. The third volume is quantum mechanics.

In addition, there are a lot of good short books on (special) relativity theory -- perhaps someone else has a good suggestion of one.

- Warren

Much appreciated.

I actually own the lectures, but admittedly I haven't immersed myself in them. I've also read a few books on relativity, including Einstein's, and although I grok the material, I haven't the same level of appreciation for its profundity as Michio Kaku would say.

I'll give Jackson's book a read and see if it helps me see the proverbial light.

Thanks again.

Well, Feynman's lectures present a pretty decent treatment of special relativity. They're also very easy to read, and they do show the math.

- Warren

Be prepared to spend lots of time with the jackson book. If you don't have a good understanding of undergrad EM jackson will be difficult. The problems are usally extremely long, but doable.

JMD

1. What are some good resources for understanding physics-related math?

Some good resources for understanding physics-related math include textbooks such as "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, online courses such as Khan Academy's "Physics and Math" course, and online tutorials and videos from sources like MIT OpenCourseWare and Physics Classroom.

2. How can I improve my understanding of the math concepts used in physics?

One way to improve your understanding of math concepts used in physics is to practice solving problems from textbooks, class notes, or online resources. It can also be helpful to seek out additional explanations or examples from different sources if you are struggling with a particular concept.

3. Are there any specific math topics that are particularly important for understanding physics?

Yes, some important math topics for understanding physics include calculus (especially differential and integral calculus), linear algebra, and differential equations. These topics are used to describe and analyze motion, forces, energy, and other fundamental concepts in physics.

4. Are there any online resources specifically for learning math used in physics?

Yes, there are many online resources specifically for learning math used in physics. Some examples include Physics Classroom's "Mathematics of Motion" and "Vectors and Projectiles" tutorials, Khan Academy's "Physics and Math" course, and MIT OpenCourseWare's "Mathematics for Physics" course.

5. How can I use math to solve physics problems?

To solve physics problems using math, you will need to understand the relevant math concepts and how they apply to the specific problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the relevant equations and variables, and use appropriate mathematical operations to solve for the unknown quantity. It can also be helpful to check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.