Irrational Number Approximation Error Explained

In summary, we discussed the irrationality of the number t=1/\sqrt{2} and how it can be used to prove that any rational approximation of t will differ by at least 1/(4b^2). We then looked at how this leads to the inequality |b^2-2a^2|<(\sqrt{2}/4)+(a/2b). Additionally, we explored a different question and used the axioms of ordering to show that |b^2-2a^2|>1 for any integers 0<a<b.
XJellieBX
Question:
Using the fact that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational, we can actually come up with some interesting facts about other numbers. Consider the number t=1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], which is also irrational. Let a and b be positive integers, and a<b. We will prove that any rational approximation a/b of t will differ by at least 1/(4b^2), that is, for all integers 0<a<b.
|(1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])-(a/b)|[tex]\geq[/tex]1/(4b^2)
Notice that a<b because (1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])<1.
(a) We prove the statement by contradiction. Assume the conclusion is false. Show it must follow that
|b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]|<[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4b.
(b) Show that, as a result,
|b^2-2a^2|<([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4)+(a/2b).

The Attempt:
(a) |(1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])-(a/b)<1/(4b^2)
Combining the fractions on the left side, we get
|(b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])/b[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]|<1/(4b^2)
Multiplying the denominator of the left side to both sides gives
|b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]| < [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4b

(b) I started part b by squaring both sides of the inequality I found in part a.
|b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]|^2 < ([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4b)^2
|b^2-2(a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])+2a^2| < 2/(16b^2)

And then I'm not sure about where to go from here to get the result indicated in part b. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides of the result of a) by b+a*sqrt(2).

thanks =) it worked out

However, I have an alternate part to this question.

For any integers 0<a<b, prove that |b^2-2a^2|>1

My Attempt:
I used the axioms of ordering to find that a^2<b^2.
Rearranging the inequality gave me b^2-a^2>0.
Subtracting a^2 from both sides, b^2-2a^2>-a^2

I'm not sure where to go from here or if this is the right way to go. Any hints?

[itex]b^2- 2a^2\ge -a^2[/itex] means that [itex]b^2- 2a^2|\ge a^2[/itex] doesn't it? And how small can a2 be if a is an integer?

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]b^2- 2a^2\ge -a^2[/itex] means that [itex]b^2- 2a^2|\ge a^2[/itex] doesn't it? And how small can a2 be if a is an integer?

No, I don't think that follows. It's even simpler than that. |b^2-2a^2| is also a nonnegative integer. If it's not greater than or equal to one, then it's zero.

Related to Irrational Number Approximation Error Explained

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a simple fraction. Examples of irrational numbers include pi (π) and the square root of 2 (√2).

2. How do you prove that a number is irrational?

A common proof for irrationality involves showing that the number in question is non-terminating and non-repeating when expressed as a decimal. This can be done through various methods such as the proof by contradiction or the proof by infinite descent. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific number being proven irrational.

3. Can an irrational number be written in decimal form?

Yes, irrational numbers can be written in decimal form, but they will always have an infinite number of non-repeating digits after the decimal point. This means that they cannot be expressed as a finite or repeating decimal.

4. What is the significance of proving a number is irrational?

Proving a number is irrational has important implications in the field of mathematics, as it helps to understand the fundamental nature of numbers. It also has practical applications in fields such as geometry and physics, where irrational numbers are often used for precise measurements and calculations.

5. Are all irrational numbers transcendental?

No, not all irrational numbers are transcendental. Transcendental numbers are a subset of irrational numbers that are not algebraic, meaning they cannot be a root of a non-zero polynomial equation with integer coefficients. For example, pi (π) is both irrational and transcendental, while the square root of 2 (√2) is irrational but not transcendental.