Irrational Number and the Borel Sets

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the set of Irrational numbers is a Borel Set in an Analysis class test. The speaker initially struggles with the problem, but eventually shows that the set of Rational numbers is a Borel Set, leading to its complement also being a Borel Set. The conversation then delves into the possibility of a direct proof for the Borel set-ness of the irrationals, with the suggestion of using deMorgan's law and knowledge about sigma algebras.
BSMSMSTMSPHD
Took a test in my Analysis class today. One question asked us to prove that the set of Irrational numbers was a Borel Set. After working on the other problems for 90 minutes, I stared blankly at this one for what seemed life a long time. I eventually showed (I think) that the set of Rational numbers is a Borel Set, and therefore, its complement is also.

Is there an easier was to do this??

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "easier"? Showing that the rationals form a borel set should only take one or two lines.

I guess what I meant is - can it be done directly, instead of relying on the rationals.

What do you know about Borel sets? Well you know they form a sigma algebra, so what do you know about sigma algebras? Assuming you know enough things about sigma algebras, you can take your proof that the rationals are a Borel set, notice that the rationals are the complement of the irrationals, the complement of an closed set is an open set, apply deMorgan's law and you should have your self a "direct" proof of the Borel set-ness of the irrationals.

Related to Irrational Number and the Borel Sets

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means it cannot be written in the form of a fraction, such as 1/2 or 3/4. Examples of irrational numbers include pi, the square root of 2, and the golden ratio.

2. How are irrational numbers related to the Borel sets?

The Borel sets are a mathematical concept used in measure theory to describe sets of real numbers. They are important in understanding the distribution of irrational numbers, as they form the basis for the Lebesgue measure, which is used to measure the size of sets of real numbers including irrational numbers.

3. What is the significance of irrational numbers in mathematics?

Irrational numbers play a crucial role in mathematics, as they are necessary for accurately representing and calculating many quantities such as the circumference of a circle or the diagonal of a square. They also provide a deeper understanding of the structure of real numbers and the concept of infinity.

4. How are irrational numbers represented and calculated in practical applications?

In practical applications, irrational numbers are typically approximated using decimal expansions or scientific notation. For calculations, they are often rounded to a certain number of decimal places. However, it is important to keep in mind that these are only approximations and the exact value of an irrational number cannot be represented or calculated.

5. Are all irrational numbers Borel sets?

No, not all irrational numbers are Borel sets. The Borel sets are a specific type of set in measure theory, while irrational numbers are a type of real number. However, some irrational numbers can be represented as Borel sets, such as the set of all numbers whose decimal expansion contains only 0s and 1s.