IR Transparent Projection Screen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a projection screen that is transparent to IR for rear projection purposes. The speaker is looking for materials that can transmit IR signals while still functioning as a projection screen. It is suggested that materials that transmit red light can also transmit IR signals at the same level. The speaker also mentions a specific transparent screen that can be ordered for this purpose.
Philmac
Hello,

Is there such a thing as a projection screen that is transparent to IR? I need to project an image onto a screen (rear-projection), but I also need to send an IR signal through the screen from the side of the human user back to the side with the projector. I think there are metals/metalloids with this property, but those materials obviously don't make good projection screens. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are rear projecting you need a transparent screen anyway - something like frosted glass or plastic

IR remotes are generally around 780-820nm so only 'slightly-infra' red, pretty much anything that transmits red light will also transmit theis level of IR

NobodySpecial said:
If you are rear projecting you need a transparent screen anyway - something like frosted glass or plastic

IR remotes are generally around 780-820nm so only 'slightly-infra' red, pretty much anything that transmits red light will also transmit theis level of IR

I have been informed that the wavelength emitted by the IR LEDs is approximately 950 nm. Does this change things? I would prefer not to let red through if possible.

I can tell you that there are materials that are transparent to infrared (IR) radiation. These materials are typically known as IR transparent materials and are commonly used in applications such as thermal imaging, remote sensing, and IR spectroscopy. Some examples of IR transparent materials include sapphire, quartz, and certain types of plastics and polymers.

However, it is important to note that while these materials may be transparent to IR radiation, they may not necessarily be suitable for use as a projection screen. This is because the properties that make a material transparent to IR radiation may not necessarily make it suitable for projecting images. For example, a material that is transparent to IR radiation may not have the necessary reflective properties to produce a clear and vibrant image when used as a projection screen.

In your case, it may be beneficial to look into using a combination of materials. For example, you could use an IR transparent material for the portion of the screen where you need to send the IR signal through, and a different material for the actual projection screen. Alternatively, you could also consider using specialized coatings or films that are designed to be both IR transparent and suitable for projection purposes.

I hope this information helps and I wish you all the best in finding a solution that meets your needs.

Related to IR Transparent Projection Screen?

1. What is an IR transparent projection screen?

An IR transparent projection screen is a type of screen that is designed to allow infrared light to pass through it, while still displaying a high-quality projected image. This allows for the use of touch-based or interactive technology, as the infrared signals can still be detected through the screen.

2. How does an IR transparent projection screen work?

An IR transparent projection screen is made of a specialized material that is designed to transmit infrared light. This material is typically a thin layer of polyester or acrylic that has been coated with a special film. The film allows infrared light to pass through, while also reflecting visible light to create a high-quality projected image.

3. What are the benefits of using an IR transparent projection screen?

One of the main benefits of using an IR transparent projection screen is the ability to use touch-based or interactive technology without any interference from the screen. This makes it ideal for applications such as gaming, presentations, and educational purposes. Additionally, these screens are often more durable and resistant to scratches and damage compared to traditional projection screens.

4. Are there any limitations to using an IR transparent projection screen?

One limitation of using an IR transparent projection screen is that it may not be suitable for outdoor use, as bright sunlight can interfere with the projected image. Additionally, these screens may be more expensive compared to traditional projection screens.

5. How do I choose the right IR transparent projection screen for my needs?

When choosing an IR transparent projection screen, it is important to consider the size and resolution of the screen, as well as the specific features and capabilities that you require. You should also consider the environment in which the screen will be used, as well as your budget. It may be helpful to consult with a professional or do some research to find the best option for your specific needs.