IR sensors vs Phototransistors

In summary: However if you're also being graded for designing the circuit to detect the tape, you may be better off doing the sensor amplifier yourself.In summary, the author is taking part in a robotics contest and is having difficulty deciding which sensor to use to track the line. They were told to use phototransistors, but have been advised against it because they are too sensitive. The author also suggests that phototransistors may have an advantage over IR sensors because they are less sensitive.
M.Usman
Hi

I'm taking part in a robotics contest and that requires my robot to reach the desired destination using line tracking. The line to be tracked is made of white tape.

Now I'm in a sort of dilemma here. I was in favour of using IR sensors to track my line and through experimentation I found their response time to be quite fast and the sensors were also quite effective may I add.
But I have been advised against using them and instead was told to use phototransistors because that's what everyone else is using! Is this argument a good enough excuse? Also, do Phototransistors really have an advantage over IR sensors?

I would appreciate any help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of IR sensors? The kind that are used for receiving remote control signals. If that's what you're using they're high gain sensors with gains in the range of 70 - 80 dB. What are you being graded on? If the grade depends only on performance and as long as they can distinguish the tape from ambient noise, I'd say you're better off with the sensors.

However if you're also being graded for designing the circuit to detect the tape, you may be better off doing the sensor amplifier yourself.

Infra red sensors as used on TV sets require the incoming light to be switching on and off at a rate of 38 KHz, too.
So, you would need to arrange that.

They would probably be too sensitive for this application, though. Just the reflection off a shiny floor would be enough to register as a bright object instead of having to find the white tape.

vk6kro said:
Infra red sensors as used on TV sets require the incoming light to be switching on and off at a rate of 38 KHz, too.
So, you would need to arrange that.

They would probably be too sensitive for this application, though. Just the reflection off a shiny floor would be enough to register as a bright object instead of having to find the white tape.

Agreed. I have played around with them. They have automatic noise suppressor, gain adjuster etc etc, so they are only perfect for communication, not for analogue job like this one.

I had experienced that they are so sensitive at (the brightness level of) evening that they detect remote control ('s IR emissions) like wireless (by detecting it even through multiple reflections from walls and objects in the room). Just trying to give you the sense of its sensitivity.

M.Usman said:
I found their response time to be quite fast and the sensors were also quite effective may I add.
But I have been advised against using them and instead was told to use phototransistors because that's what everyone else is using! Is this argument a good enough excuse? Also, do Phototransistors really have an advantage over IR sensors?

Given that you apparently have used the IR sensors quite successfully, was the ONLY reason you were advised to use phototransistors because that's what everyone else is using?

Those IR sensors were used for many years in Chamberlain's photoeyes for garage door openers and were finally replaced with photodiodes, not because they didn't work well, but for cost reasons. Even at such close range they didn't pick up reflections from the garage floor or door.

Related to IR sensors vs Phototransistors

1. What is the difference between IR sensors and phototransistors?

IR sensors and phototransistors are both types of electronic devices used for detecting light. The main difference between the two is that IR sensors detect infrared light, while phototransistors detect visible light. This means that IR sensors are more sensitive to light that is not visible to the human eye, while phototransistors are more sensitive to light that we can see.

2. How do IR sensors and phototransistors work?

IR sensors and phototransistors both work by converting light into an electrical signal. IR sensors use a special material called a semiconductor to detect infrared light, while phototransistors use a combination of a photodiode and a transistor to detect visible light. When light strikes the sensor, it causes a change in the electrical properties of the material, which can then be measured and used to determine the intensity of the light.

3. Which one is more suitable for my project - an IR sensor or a phototransistor?

The answer to this question depends on the specific requirements of your project. If you need to detect light that is not visible to the human eye, then an IR sensor would be the better choice. On the other hand, if you only need to detect visible light, then a phototransistor would be more suitable. Additionally, if you need a faster response time, then a phototransistor may be a better option, as they typically have a shorter response time compared to IR sensors.

4. What are the advantages of using IR sensors over phototransistors?

IR sensors have several advantages over phototransistors. Firstly, they are more sensitive to infrared light, which means they can detect even small amounts of light. They also have a wider range of detection, making them suitable for applications where the light source may be far away. Additionally, IR sensors are less affected by ambient light, which can be a problem for phototransistors.

5. Are there any limitations to using IR sensors or phototransistors?

Both IR sensors and phototransistors have limitations that should be considered when using them. IR sensors, for example, may have difficulty detecting light through certain materials, such as glass or plastic, which can block infrared light. On the other hand, phototransistors may have a limited range of detection, making them less suitable for long-distance applications. It is important to carefully consider the specific requirements of your project when choosing between these two types of sensors.